amanda's story

*Five months ago*

Vivian came home after a dinner with her sister and niece. Viv loved spending time with her sister Michelle, and niece Zoey. Spending time with them was a better way to grieve over the death of her father than drinking till she passes out every night. That stopped when she started seeing a therapist.

Vivian approached the door to her apartment, and dug for her keys in her purse when there was a flash. She looked in the direction of it but couldn't find the source. She saw that flash every single day when she got home. She pushed it to the back of her mind and opened the door. Her apartment was an absolute dump but she didn't care. As long as there was food and a bed in her apartment, that's all that mattered.

As soon as Vivian stepped foot in the kitchen, there was a knock on her door. She answered it, revealing a black man and an asian man. She could tell they were detectives.

"Are you Vivian Goodwin?" the black man asked.

"Yes I am? How can I help you?" Vivian asked

"My name is Detective Tapp and this is my partner Detective Sing"

"You're friends with Amanda Young, yes?" Sing asked.

"Yes. She's my best friend. Did something happen to her?"

"We'd like you to come down to the station. Amanda asked that we bring you. She'll explain everything" Tapp said.

~

When they arrived at the station, Tapp brought Vivian into the interrogation room where Amanda was waiting. Vivian couldn't stop herself from hugging her friend. Amanda's arms wrapped around Vivian.

"Amanda? Are you okay?" she asked. Amanda pulled away and looked at her friend. Vivian noticed the scars around her mouth. "What happened?"

"I'm ready to talk now that you're here" Amanda said, grabbing Vivian's hand and giving it a squeeze. Both of them sat on one side of the table, and Tapp sat on the other.

"Amanda...in your own time, tell me the first thing you remember" he said.

"I woke up. All I could taste was blood. And metal" she said. Vivian listened intently as Amanda told her story. "And then I saw the body. There was knife"

"What happened after you took it off?" Tapp asked. She explained. "You are, in fact, a drug addict. Isn't that right, Mandy? Do you think that is why he picked you? Are you grateful, Mandy?"

"He helped me"

There was a moment of silence before Tapp spoke again. "Miss Goodwin, I suggest Amanda spends the night with you tonight. Is that alright with you Amanda?" She nodded in return.

"As long as it's fine with her, it's fine with me" Vivian said.

~

Tapp and Sing needed to clear up some last minute questions with Amanda so Vivian was told to wait outside of the room for her.

"I'm sorry to hear about your friend Miss Goodwin" a soft voice said. She turned her head and saw a familiar man. It was Dr. Lawrence Gordon. He was her father's doctor for the duration of his cancer.

"Hello Dr. Gordon" Vivian said. He smiled at her and stepped closer to her. She quickly became uncomfortable when he reached out and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. 

"You know, if there's anything you need, all you have to do is give me a call" Lawrence gave her a flirtatious smile before walking away. Vivian appreciated Dr. Gordon for being her father's doctor, but what she didn't appreciate was all the flirting he did with her. She recalled back to one meeting she had with Dr. Gordon about her father.

~

"I'm sorry to tell you this Miss Goodwin but the tumor in your father's lungs is inoperable" Lawrence told Vivian. She just stared at him, not wanting to believe his words. "Miss Goodwin?"

"Are you sure Dr. Gordon?" she asked.

"I'm really sorry" he said. He got up from behind his desk and sat in the chair that was next to Vivian's. "If there was something I could do, I would"

"It's not your fault" Vivian's eyes were brimming with tears. Lawrence never peeled his eyes away from her. He thought she was beautiful. He always loved seeing her come through his door, and he always treasured the time he had alone with her. Even if he had to deliver bad news to her. 

"If there's anything you need," Lawrence started. He placed his hand on Vivian's bare knee. Her breath caught in her throat. She glanced down at his hand, and regretted wearing a dress. Lawrence started leaning in closer to her. "Anything at all---"

Vivian quickly stood up. "I'm sorry Dr. Gordon but I have to go" She left the office as quickly as she could.

~

*Present day*

When Vivian's memory of Dr. Gordon came back to her, she turned her head in his direction. 

"Now I remember! I do know you!" she said, pointing at Lawrence. "Do you remember me?"

"Yes, I do. How could I forget the daughter of one of my favourite patients?" he said. Adam kept darting his eyes between the two, clearly confused. 

"Wait, so you two know each other?" he asked. 

"Lawrence here was my father's doctor while he had cancer, and the only reason my father was his favourite patient was because of me. He'd start flirting with me any chance he got" Vivian explained. She then turned around and faced Adam.

"Now why the hell are you starting to seem familiar?"