Chapter 2

IT MUST BE A BET. High schoolers do those stuff. Dare someone to ask something to someone and if it turns out well, you win the bet.

My heart had gone furious, but I kept my cool in front of these ridiculous high schoolers.

I forced myself to smile, a confident one, I hoped. “I don't go out with younger guys. I'm sorry.”

Laughter. His friends couldn't hold it in anymore. He kept his smile, his hands sliding inside the pockets of his black, leather jacket. Typical bad boy look.

I adjusted my book as if to show him, “Excuse me, I have a book to read.”

He went back to his friends and I tuned them out by pressing the volume of music to the max.

I shook my head later on, thinking about what just happened. Must be nice to have nothing better to do in life.

I was right, though. The students got off after three more stops. I continued reading the book to my destination.

“CHANMI!” Yanan, my long-time  friend, exclaimed as soon as I was out of the train. He immediately grabbed one of my bags to help me, then he shook my hair with his hand. I hate when he does that so I cast him a glare and then we made our way out of the station, stopping by Burger King.

“How was home?” he asked as he presented the tray of fries, burgers and milkshake on our table.

“The same.” I replied lazily. I'm still quite disappointed he didn't go back home with me for holidays. He told me that Gain, his girlfriend, wanted to spend new year's eve with him. I mean, jeez, I get it he has a girlfriend to spend time with—but aren't family and friendship more important?

He frowned at me. I don't know if he's aware that I'm disappointed. I don't have plans on telling him and elaborating why he should have gone home to see his family—and we would have had fun creating snow angels, or our yearly terrible snowman. “How's mom and dad? They spent Christmas with you guys!”

I dipped my fry in the mayo. “They miss their only child. And they served us sweet dumplings.”

Yanan's mom always make sweet dumplings for winter solstice and Christmas eve.

“Ah, I miss mom's cooking! What did everyone get you for Christmas?”

I sipped on my milkshake, rolling my eyes. “Money.”

He chuckled. His smile is so beautiful, so pure—what did Gain do to deserve him? “That's just another proof of adulting.”

I shook my head and for a moment we just ate in silence, letting the crappy music in Burger King take over.

If he's waiting for me to ask about his holidays, then he's waiting for nothing. I don't want to hear it, although I have imagined it over and over in my head.

“How was the trip, by the way?” he asked, going for my fries. I slapped his hand. “No!” I sneered at him.

He grinned in satisfaction as if that's the reaction he's been waiting for me to make. “Do you want more?” he asked.

“Order for yourself.”

“I did order for myself and for you.” he said, frowning.