Chapter 7

MY MOM ONCE TOLD ME ABOUT THE ART OF FALLING IN LOVE but she never told me about the art of heartbreak. But as I filled the canvas with gloomy colors, I think I knew what it is.

Today, I don't have to work in Adachi's house. Today, I stayed in the painting room even after all my classes. The painting is almost over. It's a series of shadow gray, coal black, smoke of white and prussian blue. It's a stormy picture of the ocean and the sky is angry, the ocean is lonely.

"Damn. What is that?" A familiar voice asked behind me. I turned to see Changgu. "You're in a bad mood, aren't you?" he asked.

"Stop stating the obvious, Changgu." I said lazily.

"Come on, get up. We're going somewhere."

"Not. In. The. Mood."

"That's why you need to get up. Let's go." he said grabbing my arm.

I sighed. "Okay, okay, just wait."

I put my palette aside and removed my apron, staring at the canvas. So dark and so bad. I shook my head and grabbed my backpack.

"Wait, wash your hands first. I already know you're proud to be an artist. No need to come out with your hands full of dark paint." He said, dragging me to the sink.

"Ta-da!" Changgu presented the poster with a huge smile.

PENTAGON
Live band performance
@ Club Paragon
8 PM, January 15

I gasped, my eyes widening. "Heol! Is this real?"

He wiggled his eyebrows. "The first club gig of the band! And you are coming with me."

"Wait, what about Yanan?"

He frowned at the mention of his name. "He said he's sorry he can't go. He just made up with Gain and they are going on a date tonight."

My voice was dead when I spoke again. "Is he insane?"

"You know what? I'm OK. He wants to miss his bro's first club gig? Fine. I'm not the one missing on anything." he said and that's when I realized I wasn't the only one upset about this.

This whole thing. Friendship vs. Lover.

And I cannot blame anyone for it. Yanan, Changgu and I have been best of friends in so long. We did a lot of things together. If one screwed up, we all screw up. We have our Friday Friendship Night because no matter how busy we get, we promised to hang out once a week and fill each other up with what we missed in each other's lives.

It's not only once or twice that Yanan tried to get Gain regular in our Friendship Night. Maybe he thought everything turned out fine, but Changgu and I have been nothing but awkward whenever she's around. Maybe we were being selfish. Maybe we just both hate change.

It's not like we didn't know that once one of us gets in a romantic relationship, time spent together would lessen. We're really happy for Yananㅡbut I wish, I just really wish he wouldn't miss important things like this.

I wish he's here right now, celebrating with us.

I wish he was home for Christmas and New Year's eve with his parents who missed him. I wish he wouldn't ditch our dinner night in Seonata's for movie nights with Gain. I wish... I wish I didn't like him this way.