Chapter 10

DRUNK TALK IS REAL TALK. So when Yanan muttered 'I'm sorry' repeatedly, I knew how terrible he must have felt about his breakup with Gain. I wondered how it led to this.

I'm afraid our friendship might have been the reason.

Yanan doesn't drink alcohol unless he's really upset. "I'm sorry... I... didn't... know..." he muttered at last and I froze.

"What?" I asked.

"I... didn't know..." he repeated.

"You didn't know what?"

"I... am... sorry..."

I sighed and called a taxi for them. "We'll talk tomorrow." I told the both of them. I showed their dorm address to the taxi driver and headed back to my own.

The morning sun is up and here's reality: my best friend, my long time love and his girlfriend have broken up. I went on a date last night with Yuto, a guy younger than me.

I closed my eyes again and rethink it over and over. In the end, I pushed myself off the bed because I'm going to be late for my first class.

I didn't see Yanan or Changgu, so I spent my vacant hours in the painting room. The colors are a mix of bright and dark. They didn't match my painting. It looked utterly confused.

I sighed, staring at the painting, wondering if my skills are slipping away from me when I felt hands covered my eyes.

"Who is this?" I asked lazily.

The other person sighed. "What's with the long face, Chanmi?" Yanan asked.

I turned to face him. "I was wondering if I can't paint anymore." I said, gesturing to the canvas.

He looked at the painting and snorted. "Don't be ridiculous. It's nice. Just decide whether you want it to be dark or bright." he said and then he scanned my area where canvases rested on the floor against the wall. "Your recent paintings are dark." he observed.

"Yeah?"

His eyes returned to me. "Let's get out of here."

So unusual that Yanan and I are in Seonata's for lunch. The place isn't as crowded as it is at night.

"I'm sorry about Gain." I said genuinely. "I know you really liked her." I added, even though it felt a little weird to say.

He smiled just a little. "Eat before talk." he said and stabbed his chicken barbecue with his chopsticks.

We tried stalling the topic until we finished lunch. Yanan and I sat by the park. "I guess, it's not good to say this, but it's like I've seen it coming." he said.

"Have you been fighting a lot more recently?"

He nodded, breathing out. "It was exhausting. We were both tired."

Why isn't my heart leaping with joy? The question was answered in my head almost immediately: because I'm still just a best friend.

When I didn't say anything, he continued. "I really wanted her to stay. That's why I wanted to do everything that would make her stay. I spent holidays with her. Tried to make her friends with you guys." He shook his head with a faint smile. "It took one question to stop it all."