Chapter 15

YANAN

"HOW ANNOYING!" Changgu exclaimed once we got back to the dorm. He placed his guitar carefully on the floor, leaning against the wall.

"What is?" I asked tiredly.

"This is why you are losing the game."

"It's not a game, Changgu." I said, sitting on bed, pulling off my socks. "It's what makes Chanmi happy."

"I knowㅡbut that Japanese guy Yuto is way ahead than you, do you realize that? You know what's wrong with you?" he asked, not waiting for an answer. "You have a freaking bad timing and you always do something when it's a bit too late. Why don't you fight for Chanmi's time? Why don't you meet up with her more often without me? Why not ask her on a date?"

I took off my jacket and let my body fall on bed. It creaked as my weight pressed on it. I stared at the ceiling, unable to identify how I was feeling at the moment. All I know was, it sucks to feel this way.

"Changgu-ah," I said, my voice drained out of energy.

"What?" he asked in his still irritated voice.

"Did you see that?" I asked.

"What?" he asked again, looking at the ceiling where my eyes were fixed.

"Chanmi," I said. "The way her face lit up when she saw him."

He just sighed and laid down on his own bed, staring at the ceiling with me as if there were stars in them.

"If this was a game the way you said it," I said, closing my eyes. "When I heard the way she called his name, I knew that was it. It's a K.O for me and he wins. So I'd rather turn away than make her uncomfortable. I'd rather turn away than show her that this... this freaking breaks me, too."

I felt a pat on my stomach. "Come on, let's sneak some beers in." Changgu said, pulling me up.

We bought canned beers from the convenience store and got them in the dorm without problems.

I exhaled deeply as we both sat on our own beds, facing each other. Acoustic songs played in a low volume. Changgu loves acoustic.

"I now understand why Chanmi was upset when I came to her. She was as upset as I am for this bad timing. Maybe there was even a time when I was everything she ever wantedㅡand maybe she still feels something for me somehow, but I understand if she doesn't choose me now. I don't think I would ever deserve herㅡand as much as I fucking hate to say this, Yuto might deserve her better than I do because he made her happy. He makes her happy, and all I did... all I did was break her heart."

Changgu sighed deeply. "This is a sign you're a mess. You cuss. Here, drink."

CHANMI

"I just wanted to see you before this day ends."

I REPLAYED IT OVER AND OVER INSIDE MY HEAD. Yuto's words, the warm feeling of being in his arms. And I feel like I would explode. I couldn't help smiling. My cheeks might be ripped soon. My chest was having trouble breathing. My face was hot and I couldn't sleep either.