Chapter 5

SOMETIMES WHEN YOU'RE PAINTING, you just keep on experimenting with colors without knowing what your hand would create. This is how I feel right now. I don't have a clear vision of where this is going.

I didn't want to tell Yanan in front of everyone that Yuto is the guy from the train incident, so I answered his question by saying, “I work in his house. I mean, I paint there.”

“You work? Whoa. I always knew your talent was amazing enough to attract bucks.” Changgu said, grinning.

I nudged his shoulder playfully. “So, what were you guys talking about?” I asked.

“Waitㅡwon't you introduce us to Yuto?” Yanan asked.

I hid a sigh. “Yuto,” I said without looking at him. “This is Changgu and Yanan, my best friends. This is Gain, Yanan's girlfriend.”

“All your friends are boys?” Yuto asked me.

Yanan grinned. “She's always been one of the boys.”

“Hey! I'm not!”

“You are.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at Gain. “Shut your boyfriend up.”

She grinned and turned to Yanan. “Don't say that, babe. This is why Chanmi doesn't get a boyfriend. You push them away.”

Yuto looked at me. “You don't have a boyfriend?”

“Why do you ask so many questions?” I sneered.

He smiled sheepishly. “Sorry.”

I grabbed fries from Yanan's across the table and didn't repeat when I noticed Gain watching my hand. Changgu cleared his throat. “So, we were talking about Christmas presents! What's the best gift for you this Christmas, Chanmi?”

“Oh,” I said immediately. “Yanan gave me a new set of acrylic paint and brushes!”

The whole table became quiet. My smile faded away. “What?” I asked them. Changgu pointed at Gain with his lips. I found her biting her lip while her whole face became tomato red. And then the next thing I know, she was hurrying out of the venue.

Yanan ran his hands through his hair. “I'll be right back.”

And when he got up from his seat to follow her, I knew he wouldn't be back. Not tonight.

“Did I say something wrong?” I asked to no one in particular.

Changgu patted my shoulder. “No, but you must have said something you shouldn't have.”

“But why!”

He sighed, stretching out his legs under the table. “Yanan got her a planner for Christmas.”

“And?”

“Seriously, Chanmi?”

“What's wrong with a planner? He must have gotten it for her because he thought it would mean something!”

“But she doesn't know Yanan like you doㅡat least, not yet.” he said, sighing yet again. “I knew this night would be crazy in a bad way when he brought Gain. Friends night is a friends night. No offense, Yuto.”

“None taken.” Yuto said quietly. I almost forgot he was there.

Changgu got up. “I'm going. Band calls. Maybe Yuto here can walk you home. See ya, Chan Chan.”

I nodded. “See you.”

“You know you don't actually have to walk me there. I'll be fine.” I told Yuto when he insisted on walking me to my dorm.