Chapter 2 - New Friend

Alistairs POV

The dogs finished up their breakfast at around the same time as me and they wagged their tails, staring up at me as I slipped on my converse. I opened up the back door and let them use the bathroom before taking off down the left side of the large light gray fence.

It took about a solid hour and 10 minutes to round the entire fence to the right side. It seemed to be in pretty good shape, no holes or cracks with two just as tall fence doors with locks. Now I wouldn't have any worries letting the dogs out. I gave the boys some belly rubs and walked back inside leaving the door open. I took two steps at a time up the stairs and grabbed a small backpack out of my way to big closet. I threw a jacket into my backpack and made my way downstairs and into the kitchen, pulling a some dog treats and some snacks for me into my bag. On a last thought I grabbed a flashlight from the counter, just in case.

Domino was waiting outside of the back door for me, Comet of course being no where in sight. I pulled the sliding glass door shut. I gave Domino a few pets behind his ears before heading right for a more clear part of the woods. Looking down it seemed like there was a path in the grass, I could have been wrong but the grass seemed to almost look different. I watched Domino run off, probably in search for Comet and continued down the faint path. After almost 15 minutes, the path surprisingly led me to a sandy bank. Quickly looking up, I was left shocked. Before me lay a breath taking pond. The waters surface was an almost unnaturally blue color while still being crystal clear. There seemed to be a multitude of koi fish in the beautiful pond but that didn't hinder the beauty at all. The center of the pond looked bottomless but the sides had a variety of unearthly looking bright green plants. The pond had a ring around it of soft white and pale yellow sand that faded into dirt the further you went out.

I walked a few paces closer before a sparkle of something caught my eye. I whipped my head around in search of the gleam and once I found it again, I walked closer and crouched down. I plunged my hand into the cool water and felt for the shining object. My hand touched what felt like a chain so wrapped my fingers around it and gently pulled. I held it up to my face and examined what I now new to be some sort of a necklace. It had a silver chain that looked pretty strong and attached to it at the bottom was a blue oval amulet. Maybe lapis but I couldn't be sure. I dropped the pendant into my other hand and leaned down to get a closer look. Out of the corner of my eye I saw some green figure jump out of the water. I chose to ignore it, assuming it was a frog and continued to examine the blue amulet.

A wet nose touched my shoulder so I turned my face, expecting to see Comet or Domino, but instead coming face to face with a green dragon. A scream left my lips and I threw myself backwards, dropping the amulet. My now dry hair flopped right into my eyes freaking me out even more so now that I couldn't see. I pushed myself backwards before running my hands through my hair to get it out of the way. The dragon seemed to just be looking at me. I started to panic as it inched its way closer to me. I breifly wondered if this is what happened to Selah; maybe she had been eaten by this very dragon. I didn't want to die right now. The green beast leaned down and picked the amulet up in it's mouth. Its wings started flapping and before I knew it, the thing was right over me. I held my breath and shut my eyes. This was just another nightmare, this will all go away when I open my eyes. I opened my eyes and we met with the same bright blue ones. My panic picked up again and I shut my eyes again. This can't be real. Opening them to the same sight, I decided to use my last resort. I pinched my arm, hard. It did nothing other than give me pain. It almost seemed like it was looking at me with a confused expression.

Being out of ideas, I threw my arms out and over my face and waited. After a few moments the chain of the amulet touched my hand gently, making me open my eyes just a bit. The creature was still just staring at me. I had no idea what to do, what this thing wanted or where it even came from. I finally made my resolve and took the amulet in my hand. The green dragon let it drop from its mouth and then unexpectedly flew right into my face. Knocking me backwards a bit but too my surprise, not hurting me. It nuzzled it's face into my cheek and started up an odd rumble. It was somewhat like a cat's purr but deeper.

I let out a shaky laugh before reaching my hand up and running it along it's scaly back, simultaneously shoving the amulet in my pocket. Barks suddenly starting ringing out from behind me and whipped around to grab Comet and Domnio before they attacked the seemingly harmless creature.

"Calm down! It's okay!" I yelled, trying to back them off. The barks subsided but soft growls started up in their place. "Stay." I commanded, moving my hands away from their collars. I turned around to look at the dragon that was now sitting on the ground unfazed. I watched as it creeped closer to the dogs slowly. The longer I looked at it the more I felt the need to care for it and the more I didn't like just calling it 'it'. Something in me just knew the dragon was a female. An adult female dragon.

I refocused on the scene before me and was shocked to see the dragon rubbing up against Comet and Domino. The boys seemed to love her too, their fluffy tails wagging faster than ever. She flew up after a few minutes and landed right on my shoulder. She was surprisingly light. I looked down at the dogs, still wagging their tails and staring up at me. "Well, okay then. Let get home I guess." I said still a bit weary of taking the dragon with me.

The trec back to the house was relatively quick. I kept an eye on the dragon on my shoulder the entire way. I shoved open the sliding door and ushered the dogs inside. Checking the clock, I realized it was about lunch time for us. I filled up Domino and Comets bowls before scratching my head in wonder of what I should feed the dragon. If she even ate anything.

I got out another bowl and filled it with some of the dog food before setting it down in front of her. She sniffed it before her eyes seemed to light up and she dug right in. I smiled as I watched the three all eat together and quickly got busy on making myself something. I finished up the milk jug and cereal, making another mental note to go shopping for food and walked into the living room area. I plopped down on the couch and turned on Netflix, putting on a random show before just leaning back and relaxing. I finished my food right at the time when Damino, Comet and the dragon pranced into the living room and up onto the couch with me. The dogs laid on my sides and the dragon decided to take a place on my stomach.

"I guess I should name you if you're  gonna be staying here." I said to her, rubbing her head. "How about Emerald? Since you're green and all that." She surprisingly nodded her head, weirding me out even more. "Emerald it is."

-----
The picture is Domino and Comet. Hope you liked it!