Chapter 14 - New Kingdom

Alistiar's POV

I woke up in pain. Selahs floor was definitely worse than the couch. I rolled over on my side and glared at the unconscious half elf on the couch. I pulled myself up into a sitting position and stretched out my arms. After hearing a few of my joints crack, mainly the ones in my left shoulder, I stood up. I stepped from my bed, hissing when my feet hit the cold floor.

I stepped into the kitchen and started fixing myself some breakfast. Selah had stopped making breakfast after the first couple days of me staying here. I munched on a orange as I went looking for Selah, knowing she'd most likely be in her lab. I entered without words and kept my eyes down. Selah had made no attempts to clean the lab so I was forced to just avoid looking at the bloody mess.

"Good Morning!" Selah said cheerfully. She never once looked up from her notes.

"Morning." I said, tired. I ran a hand through my hair, hating how it stuck to my face in the morning. I sat down in one of the extra stools, identical to hers. Both of our heads snapped up when a groan echoed into the lab. Selah and I stumbled over each other, rushing into the sitting room. We stopped at the couch, holding our breaths to see if the guy was moving. His fingers twitched and in seconds his eyes had flung open.

His green eyes met Selahs blue ones before moving to my lighter green orbs. He sat up quickly, pushing back against the couch. His eyes held fear and I immediately felt bad for him.

"Hey hey, it's okay. We aren't gonna hurt you." Selah said, holding her hands out. "What's your name?" She asked softly. The dragon elf boy looked back and forth at us unsure.

"R...Ryuu. My name is Ryuu." He said, quietly.

"Okay Ryuu, what happened?" Selah said, sitting down next to him on the couch. I sat down on the floor Indian style.

"What happened?" Ryuu answered with a question of his own.

"Why did I find you unconscious in the woods?" I asked, straightforward. He looked down and rubbed his arm nervously.

"I was attacked." Ryuu stated simply. We waited for him to say more but he made no indication that he was going to.

"By...?" I prompted, pushing him to say more.

"Elves. I was attacked by elves." Selah and I exchanged glances. I had never seen an elf before and Selah had only seen them a handful of times.

"Why?" Selah asked confused.

"Elves don't get along with dragons. I'm part of both species. I'm...not accepted with either one. So when I came upon some elf scavengers, they attacked and I barely escaped." Ryuu explained.

"I'm so sorry." Selah said, looking sincere.

"Elf scavengers?" I asked when it registered in my head.

"Yes." Ryuu replied. He looked over at my confused expression and continued. "They come from the Elf Kingdom...to you know, scavenge."

"Hang on. There's an Elf Kingdom." Selah asked, you could hear the excitement in her voice at the thought of new information.

"Yes, it's past the forest, where you could me, and over a river a ways." Ryuu said.

"Is there like a leader? Some sort of King?" I asked, wanting to know more as well. Ryuu seemed uncomfortable with the question.

"Yeah. He's a terrible man. He's the reason the war started. The dragons never caused any trouble but he thinks they should die. And since he's king, the elves have to follow him." Ryuu said, his voice became angry at the end.

"There's a war?!" Selah asked, raising her voice. "How did I not realize that? This explains why the elves are out killing dragons."

"This is all hurting my head. How bout we take a break and talk more later? I'm sure you're hungry." Ryuu nodded in responce.

"Of course. Let's get some food in you!" Selah said, reverting back to her cheery self for now. We walked into the kitchen together and I helped Selah make something for our guest. We ended up making some sort of chicken like meat that I didn't know even existed here. I'd been eating fruits, eggs and bread since I arrived.

Selah went back to work in the lab, leaving Ryuu and I in the kitchen. I let him eat in silence for a few minutes before my curiosity got the better of me.

"So...was one of your parents a dragon?" I asked, barely meeting his startled eyes. He set his fork down before answering.

"My father was. My mother was an elf." He explained, lowering his voice.

"Are they...?"

"Dead. Yes." Ryuu said softly, a sad note joining his tone.

"Mine too. I'm sorry." I said, my voice cracking only slightly.

"The king ordered for their death. My mother was able to stay alive longer than my father but soon I was left alone." Ryuu picked up his fork after his words and began eating again.

"I was dropped in an orphanage after my parents passed..." I explained. I almost added how but decided against it.

"I've heard of those before." Ryuu's eyes flashed to my ears before he froze. "Hang on, why aren't your ears pointed? Aren't you an elf?"

"Oh uh no, I'm not." I said, running an hand through my hair. "I'm human."

"Human?" Ryuu questioned, shocked.

"Humans are sorta like elves I guess. Shorter and non pointy ears. We dress different." I said, tugging at my graphic tee.

"I've never seen or even heard of a human before." Ryuu said.

"Makes sense you wouldn't know about us. Selah and I are from a different dimension." I looked up to catch his confused expression.

"That's insane. You have to be joking." Ryuu said, giving me a funny look.

"Nope." I said, casually leaning back. "Don't worry, it surprised me to find out dimensions, elves and dragons existed too."

-----
Ryuu has finally woke up and has told Selah and Alistair about him and more about the world he lives in