Chapter 3 - New Dragons

Alistairs POV

I woke up with a start, shaking awake the dogs on accident. It was still dark outside, the only light coming from the paused Netflix show. I guessed it to be around 1:00 in the morning. I had had a dream for once, instead of my usual nightmares. It involved a small green dragon that I apparently named Emerald. I cold nose poked my hand and turned my face, only to throw myself back into the pile of blankets I had passed out in. There sitting next to me was said green dragon, that I had very much named.

A small pinch of pain went threw my finger causing me to yelp. I glared down at the dragon who had just bitten me, only for my eyes to catch a glimpse of something in the kitchen.

"What the heck?" I said as I tripped my way off the couch, throwing blankets in my wake. The dogs got up with me and so did the dragon. We all made our way into the kitchen where the amulet I had found yesterday was glowing. It wasn't continuous, more like a pulse, a heartbeat. Emerald made a screeching noise at me and I looked at her confused. Something in me was pulling me to go outside, to go to the pond. I decided to follow what I felt and made a dash for the backdoor. I shut the dogs in as a last thought, grabbing my backpack I had used yesterday on the way out and continued on with Emerald. As I ran, I wished I had put my shoes back on. The ground was hard on my feet and very cold.

The amulets glowing was getting dimmer and dimmer. Making it to the pond I gasped at the sight before me. The water was glowing softly and seemed to getting dimmer and pulsing at the same time as the amulet. When it stopped I finally noticed the two creatures that didn't belong. There was a dark orange dragon with fierce green eyes standing in front of a seemingly more timid gray dragon. I walked closer and saw the blood pooling on the ground. I frowned. What could have hurt these poor guys?

I crouched down before whispering, "Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. I can help." Emerald appeared behind me and gave a small screech in agreement. The orange dragon, after a few moments, started backing away and let me approach it's smaller friend. I gave them both a good look over before something in me just told me the orange one was a male and then gray small one was a girl. Both adults. The female inched closer to me and immediately saw the issue. She had a huge gash on her front left leg. The bleeding seemed to be lessening but it needed to be cleaned out.

Going slow so I didn't startle either one of them, I took off my backpack and unzipped it. I grabbed out the extra shirt I had thrown in there and started to rip it into strips. It was a nice shirt while it lasted. I dipped a few strips into the cool water of the pond and sat down cross legged next to the hurt creature. There was a small growl of protest from behind me when I reached out to lift her leg some. When the growling stopped I continued, carefully dabbing the wet strips on the wound to clean it out and remove the dried blood. She started up her strange purring, it seemed all dragons possessed, just as I finished wrapping the dry shirt strips around the wound and tying it off gently.

I backed off as the orange dragon came up to examine the makeshift bandages. He sniffed them and after deeming them safe, he turned to me and gave me a short nod. I smiled unsurly, still not quiet understanding it they could understand me or not. They two dragons took off towards the house, the gray female leaning on the male. I followed confused. They stopped about halfway to it, veering off the main path some. The orange male let the gray female sit down before digging straight down into the dirt. I watched in awe as he piled the dirt up as he dug to make a small roof and then continued down for at least two minutes. I gasped when he came out smaller than he was when he went in. The female walked up to the entrance, shrinking down just a bit as she did to fit better. The male gave me and Emerald one last look before walked into the hole behind the female.

I started walking away right before Emerald bit the bottom of my shirt sleeve to stop me. I looked at her confused before she stuck her head in my half open pack. She pulled her head back out with a piece of dog food in her mouth. She dropped down in front of the hole, gesturing with the food in her mouth towards the entrance. I let out a small ooh in understanding and flipped my backpack around so I could reach my hand in it. I grabbed out two handfuls of the pellets and set them as close as I could to the beginning of the hole. Emerald chomped down on the food in her mouth and set herself down on my shoulder. As I walked away, I head the quiet crunching noises coming from the hole and smiled.

-----
The picture is kinda how the holes in Alistiars yard look from the inside minus the gold and probably the water. The holes also go down more than up