Chapter 26 - Nothing New

Alistair's POV

I woke up with a knock on my door, as usual. I called that I was awake before slowly standing. The only thing abnormal in the room was my stuffed backpack sitting by my wooden door but everything felt just a bit off.

I threw on a random shirt and pulled on a regular pair of shorts. I didn't need to dress up today. I checked my hair in the mirror and after fooling with it for a few seconds, I gave up and pulled it into a short ponytail. I opened the door, spotting Xander standing against the opposing wall and shut it behind me silently.

"Good morning King Alistair." Xander said, stepping in line next to me.

"Morning." I said, still groggy from waking up. After a few minutes of walking towards the dining area, Xander spoke again.

"Are you excited about going home?" Xander asked. I could hear the hesitation in his voice but I was glad he was finally starting to treat me like a real person.

"Yeah I am. I'm gonna miss you and Selah and Ryuu and I think I'm gonna miss this place but it's been so long since I've seen Comet, Domino and Emerald." I said, my heart constricted painfully thinking about how long it's been since I've seen my babies. I shook if off remembering that I would be seeing them soon.

"Morning Alistair." Selah said when Xander and I entered the dining area. Ryuu and her had already gotten started on their breakfast.

"Morning." I replied, smiling slightly at them both. I pulled out a chair next to them and sat down. I put a few peices of weird orange bread on my plate and poured some purple liquid on top. I had found it tasted like syrup and pancakes earlier this week. I knew Xander had already had breakfast so I didn't offer him any; not like he would accept anyways.

"Are you sure you can handle everything when I leave? Xander and Selah will be here but I don't want to leave if you aren't ready." I asked, pointing the question at Ryuu. Ryuu looked up from his bread and finished his bite before speaking.

"I'm ready. You've tought me everything you could and like you said I'm not alone." Ryuu said, nodding his head. I nodded my head back and continued eating. We spoke a few more times over breakfast but I really wasn't in the mood to talk.

"I'm gonna go grab my bag." I said, standing up after finishing.

"We'll meet you in the throne room and fly to the portal with you." Selah said. I turned around and began a slow walk back to my room. I opened my door and did a once over to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything important. I grabbed my bag, blew out the candles and closed the door behind me.

"You're coming to the pond with us right?" I asked Xander. He nodded his head silently and I smiled a small bit before beginning the trip to the throne room. It didn't take us long and soon we were standing next to Ryuu and Selah outside. I held out my arm and left Fane, Soren and Varon slip out of my shirt where they were sleeping against my body.

They grew to a bigger size and let us climb onto their backs. Ryuu held onto Selah tightly and let out a small yelp when we took off. Usually I would laugh lightly but the mood didn't feel right today. The flight to the pond was quiet except for the sound of the wind flowing past my ears. The dragons landed a few feet away from the pond and let us slip off before shrinking. They took off through the portal without a second thought.

"I guess I'll see you guys later." I said, standing awkwardly near the portal. Thankfully Selah took the lead and broke the silence.

"We'll miss you." Selah said, pulling me in for a tight hug. She let go and Ryuu took her place, surprising me. We still haven't really gotten over what happened with the King. My eyes met Xanders for a quick second before Selah forced him to give me a hug. Xygeos, or as Selah calls him, Richard, landed behind us as I let go.

"Send me letters every few days, okay?" I said, pointing the statement at no one in general, just as long as someone sent me a letter about how things were going with the kingdom.

"We will." Ryuu said. I smiled and nodded before sliding onto Xygeos' back. I waved quickly and set my hand back on Xygeos back. He took that as the cue and flew up a small bit before nose diving into the pond. I took a breath at the last minute and shut my eyes tight as we went under. It felt like we were only under the water for a second before we were exiting through the other side. Xygeos landed with a small thump, allowing me to slide off his back. He turned around, looking like he was ready to go back through the portal.

"Make sure they send me letters buddy. I'll see you." I said, giving the black dragon a hug. He puffed some smoke from his nose in response and cuddled into my embrace. We backed away from each other and he took off back into the pond with a splash. I stood straight up, looking around at the all to familiar forest.

I turned around and began walking down the barely-there path. Even more so now that no one has been walking it. Birds chirped and bugs swarmed around my head. It looked to just be the beginning of Spring. I pushed my way out of the trees and stopped in my tracks when I saw big, white piles of fluff laying on the back deck. Tears pricked my eyes when suddenly Domino looked up, catching my scent.

Domino stood, barking loudly to wake Comet up. As soon as Comets eyes opened, he stood and rushed at me, barking loudly. I laughed and let the tears fall when his body collided with mine. Domino soon joined us on the ground, sniffing at my hair and licking my face. I was so happy to be home.

-----
So this is the last chapter of the book besides the epilogue, which will be posted sometime next week.
Sorry this one was so late, I procrastinated quite a bit
Hope you like it!
More info about sequels and stuff will be in the epilogue