Chapter 12 - New Flora

Alistair's POV

I woke up with a start on an unfamiliar makeshift bed. The clanking of pots could be heard from somewhere in the small house. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and slowly stood. Streams of sunlight flooded the sitting area of Selahs home.

"Good morning!" Selah announced, walking into the room with a plate of food in her hand. She pushed me back on the couch and sat the plate in my lap, stareing intensely at me. I looked down to examine the food she had prepared.

"Uh why are the eggs blue...and what's this purple thing?" I asked, poking at the strange colored food with my fork.

"The chickens here lay blue eggs, they taste exactly the same though. I'm not sure what the purple thing is but it taste like an orange." Selah explained. She sat down next to me and began eating her own food.

"Okay." I mumbled. I jabbed my fork into a piece of egg and slowly brought it to my lips. I chewed and was immedialty surprised at how good it tasted. I picked up a bit of the purple fruit and found it to be just as delicious. I quickly finished my food and waited for Selah to finish hers. When she got up, I followed her. We walked into a small kitchen area and dropped our plates in a sink.

"So I kind of need to go home." I said as Selah made her trek back to her room.

"You'll have to convince Richard to take you back then!" She said, continuing to walk away from me.

"Xygeos." I muttered under my breath. I stood unsure for a few seconds before rushing out the front door. I called Xygeos a couple of times before he swooped down from the sky, landing in front of me. "Take me home. Please." I begged him. He sat down on his haunches and stared.

"Please, just so I can feed everyone and get some clothes. Then I'll come back with you." I sighed. He nodded his head and stood. I gasped when he slipped under my legs and took off into the air. I grasped his neck, hanging on for dear life. He leveled out and I slowly opened my eyes.

It was beautiful. Grass and trees covered the expanse of the land. Dragons of all shapes and sizes roamed the ground and the skies. But something else in the distance caught my attention. Over the top of a hill poked what looked to be like the top of some building. My focus quickly went back to hanging on when Xygeos took a dive straight into the pond. My scream was cut off by water filling my mouth. I shut my lips tight and hoped that Xygeos would swim fast.

Soon enough, light reached my eyes and we were emerging from the pond on the other side. He dropped down on the ground, allowing me to slide off his back. I flipped my hair out of my eyes and took off towards the house. Rushing in, I was attacked by Comet and Domino. They knocked me to the ground and bombarded me with licks to my face.

I laughed and pushed them off me. I quickly filled their bowls and ran outside to fill the bowls on the back porch. By that time, I had all nine dragons chasing me, wanting my attention. I dropped the food bag on the kitchen floor and allowed the dragons to crowd around me. I petted them all, including Comet and Domino. There was small noise from the back door and I tensed. Xygeos was standing there, looking impatient. I sighed. I didn't want to leave.

"I have to go away somewhere babies but Emerald will take care of you. I'll come back when I can." I said, giving them both a good scratch behind the ears. I looked over to Emerald to make sure she understood. She nodded her head at me, letting me know she would take care of things here while I was away.

After giving everyone a good pet, I walked up the stairs. I grabbed a backpack from my closet and shoved some clothes inside along with a few other items. The bag was stuffed full. I hoped Selah wouldn't mind me moving in without asking. I walked down the stairs slowly, wanting to stay in my own home as long as I could.

"Any of you dragons are welcome to come with me or come see me." I commented as I walked out the door. At my words, Varon quickly flew up and tucked himself into the collar of my shirt. Fane flew up, landing on my shoulder and soon after, Soren sat down next to him. The others stayed put.

"I'll see you all soon I hope." I said. Comet and Domino whined as I walked away, following behind me. They didn't understand. "Stay boys. You can't come with me." They immedialty stopped but their whines grew louder.

I rushed into the forest, being joined by Xygeos. I stopped at the edge of the pond, looking back at the small bits of house I could see. Xygeos gave a push to my back and I turned away. I climbed onto his back and grabbed Fane and Soren off my shoulder, tucking them close to me.

"Ready." I sighed. He flew up an inch before diving into the water, swimming fast. I held onto the dragons tight. Emerging from the other side, I was greeted with rays of sun and luscious green trees. It looked beautiful compared to the snow covered ground and dead trees at my house.

Xygeos let me ride him the rest of the way to Selahs. Soren and Veron flew around us, loving the sunshine and fresh air. I hopped off Xygeos and walked inside the house. "Selah! Hope you don't mind that I'm moving in for awhile." I yelled, not sure where she was in the house.

"If you're staying then I'm going to put you to work." Selah said walking out of her lab, scribbling on a paper. She looked up and gasped. I stepped back when she ran towards me. She reached toward my neck, grabbing Fane. He squeaked as she lifted him up. "He's magnificent!" She bubbled out, lifting up his head. I reached forward, snatching him from her grasp.

"You're not going to dissect the dragons I bring here, are you?" I asked, completely reconsidering my housing choices.

"Humm no, it will be nice to have some live subjects to examine!" She said, flipping over the paper she had brought out. She scribbled unreadable words down on it as she circled Varon. I wasn't ready for this.

-----
I may have forgotten to post last Monday, sorry
Picture is how I kind of imagine Fane

UPDATE: turns out I forgot to upload this too so it's been awhile. Oops