Chapter 4 - New Eggs

Alistairs POV

-Time Skip of about a month-

I had just woken up when my amulet started to glow. More and more dragons had been coming in and more and more of them were injured. I hadn't lost one yet but I was starting to get worried. I rushed down the stairs, Comet and Domino hot on my heels. I threw on the flip flops I had started leaving at the back door and quickly made my way outside. I ran straight to the path I had memorized, trying to keep up with the dogs. They had learned what the glowing amulet meant, they loved making friends with the dragons now.

I made it just in time to see a black fenale dragon shaking water off it's body. It didn't seem injured and seemed to be curled around something. I calmly walked up to her, giving her heard a gentle stroke.

"What do you have there girl?" I asked her. Sure dragons had come through the portal that weren't hurt but I had never had one come through with something with them. She must of understood me because only moments later she unraveled her body from what looked like an egg. I reached for it, keeping eye contact with her to make sure it was okay. It about the size of my hand, smooth and black in color. The same black as her.

"Is this your egg?" I asked, glancing at her. She gave a small nod of her head as an answer. Before I could question her further, she had slipped right back into the pond and was gone. I stared down at the egg in confusion. I had never been left an egg before. It also confused me that she had brought it to me now. It was practically fall...did dragons lay their eggs in fall? I clutched the egg closer to me and started walking. I called for the dogs half way to the house, knowing they were visiting their dragon buddies.

We all walked into the house together and I carefully sat the egg down next to a sleeping Emerald, who only opened her eyes slightly before closing them again. I filled Comet and Domino's bowls and walked back outside after grabbing a jacket. I went around to the holes I knew had injured dragons in them and left a couple bowls full of dog food on the back porch.

I watched in silence as dragons started appearing to eat before going back inside. I grabbed myself a donut out of the box I got yesterday and went back to get the egg. Emerald had wrapped her body around it. She gave me a squawk when I reached for it and I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"Do you know what to do with the egg?" She nodded and laid her head down on top of it. "Am I supposed to do something with the egg? I received another nod. "So I need to take care of it?" Emerald gave me one last nod. I sighed, wishing we could actually talk.

The day went on as usual. One new dragon made a home in my yard and the other dragons welcomed him with open wings. Emerald had become quite protective of the eggs and the dogs seemed very interested in it but she wouldn't let them anywhere near it. I was able to pull the egg away from Emerald when it was time to go to sleep, just so she would come upstairs with me. I sat the egg down in a scratching post cat bed thing I had bought her and she immediately curled up around it. I did my nightly duties and laid down in bed where the dogs were already waiting. I was out like a light in no time.

The air around me was warm, it was clearly summer. I looked out the window of the car and pretended that we were racing the clouds. Everything came to halt in seconds. I looked back out the window after being thrown forward but the sky was no longer just blue and white. It had become smudged with red. A red I was all to familiar with. I looked to my parents, wanting to know what happened to the sky. I gasped when they were covered in the same red blood. Both of them were rubbing my mom's enlarged belly and wished I could be doing that with them too. I reached forward but pulled my hand back when a pinching pain went through it. The pain happened again and the world around me started melting away, turning back. One pinch later and I was falling.

I woke up with a gasp, clutching my hand to my chest and locking eyes with a guilty looking Emerald. Her face shifted to the blue glow happening around my neck. My eyes widened. I jumped up and ran down stairs once again.

Making it to the pond in no time I was surprised to see two dragons there, both female and both carrying an egg. Once egg was green, like it's mother and the other egg was blue and gray, only the blue matching it's mother. I carefully walked over to them and gently picked up the two eggs. One mother slipped right back into the water while the other one made its way to an already made hole. I jogged back to the house and pushed Emeralds head away as she rushed me. I sat the eggs down next to the other one Emerald brought down and checked the time. Four in the morning, just peachy. There was no way I could go back to sleep now. Sadly this had become a routine but at least it helped keep away the nightmares.

Suddenly an idea popped into my mind. "Do you think I should set up a room with a heating lamp and stuff for the eggs?" I voiced out loud, somewhat pointing the question at Emerald. I glanced over at her after grabbing an apple out of the fridge. She screeched and nodded yes. "Okay. Let do this." I said determinedly.

I walked calmly back upstairs after dropping some food in the boys bowls and went straight to the bathroom. I brushed through my semi-long, blonde hair, trying to pull out most of the tangles. I washed off my face and left to get dressed. I threw on a dark blue hoodie and some black skinny jeans. I walked down stairs after grabbing my phone and put on my converse. I walked back into the living room where Emerald was using her body to shield the eggs from Comet.

"Can you take care of those eggs by yourself?" Emerald nodded and I nodded right back. I called for the dogs and slipped out the front door. I yanked open the door to my van and let the dogs hop in before getting in myself. The drive to the store was about 30 minutes, I was okay with the drive time since my house was secluded. I went right to Walmart and grabbed up everything I thought they would need. Multiple cat stands and dog beds. Heat lamps and different sized tables. Lots of blankets and pillows, all in different sizes. The cost was no issue and I was out in under an hour. I passed by the donut place reluctantly. As much as I loved them, I was still tired and the crowed at Walmart had made me uncomfortable. The drive home let me think in silence and I was thankful for that. I was a tad scared of having to take care of dragon eggs but I was confident that I could, especially with the help of Emrald, Comet and Domino.