Chapter 10 (Part 1)

Louis

I'm sat backstage at the talent contest with Davey. So far we don't have to do much so I can't complain and it gets us out of class.

'You're really gonna go to Sharon's sister's wedding?' Davey asks. I wasn't expecting to be invited but Sharon's sister's letting her take someone.

'I can't not go.'

'Sure you can,' he says. 'Tell her you've got other plans.' I ignore him, he wouldn't understand, now I come to think of it I don't think he's ever had a girlfriend.

'What do you think of Linda?' I ask him, she's one of Sharon's second tier friends. He looks over at the auburn-haired girl singing with Paulette.

'She's too tall,' he says.

'What about Jessie?'

'We dropped a rat on her desk remember?' I think he's making excuses. 'And don't forget the code. I can only go out with a pink lady,' he reminds me. I laugh, now he is grasping at straws.

'We don't have to stick to that, Johnny just made it up to keep Steph in line.' I can see Davey looks uncomfortable so I drop the subject and turn my attention back to the stage. Paulette's so blatantly trying to get Johnny's attention she fluffs her lines, and Ms McGee calls time on them. Sharon comes stomping over.

'I can't believe she forgot that line again,' she hisses at me but she has the kinda voice that carries.

'Hey, I heard that,' Paulette shouts back. Jeez, don't say they're gonna start fighting. I put my arm around Sharon, I don't know if I'm trying to hold her back, or calm her down.

'Well you're not even trying,' Sharon snaps back at Paulette, who's now up in our faces. 'I didn't want to do this, I only said I would cos you were all hassling me.'

'We can't all be perfect like you,' Paulette practically screams at her and everyone's staring.

'Watch it,' I warn Paulette. I'm not gonna stand there while she yells at Sharon.

'Just forget it, I'm not doing it anymore,' Sharon says her voice shaking.

'Girls, girls, calm down,' Miss Mason says, and I pull Sharon backstage. I have the feeling she's gonna start crying. We sit on the steps leading up to the stage, Sharon keeping her back to them all.

'I've had it with everyone,' she eventually says, and I know this is about more than the talent show.

'Even me?' She doesn't answer but when I put my arm around her she moves closer so I guess we're ok.

'Paulette didn't mean anything,' I say when she doesn't answer. 'She's probably embarrassed she messed up her lines in front of Johnny.'

'But none of them are even trying to learn their lines. I mean I'm doing everything, and they're putting no effort in,' she says sighing. I kiss the top of her head noticing she's changed shampoo.

'Then quit.'

'If I do that my mom'll flip, she says I need some extracurricular activities for my college application.' My stomach sinks.

'Where are you applying to?'

'Just locally but mom thinks I need more extracurricular interests. I don't even think I want to go to college.' I'm relieved to hear that, at least she's not applying to the other side of the country.

'You don't have to go,' I tell her. She doesn't sound happy about it.

'But what else will I do? My mom will make my life hell,' she says.

'Will she really?'

'Nothing I ever do is good enough, if I get a B it's always, why didn't you get an A?' She sighs deeply.

'Aren't all parents like that?' It doesn't sound that bad to me, I just tune that shit out.

'But she's like that about every little thing.' I guess it must be bad since she's so wound up. I look across the room and I can see Paulette talking to Rhonda and Stephanie, I turn back to Sharon before she spots them cos even I know they've gotta be bitching about her.

'So what's gonna happen at Joanne's wedding,' I say changing the subject. 'I mean with your mom, dad and stepmom?'

'I dread to think. Cos I think mom has to sit with dad, as they're the parents, and I don't know where Angela will be put. Maybe near me.'

'Won't you be sat with your sister?' I've only been to a few weddings but I have an idea of how it works.

'No I'm not in the bridal party, Joanne will probably have me at the back of the room. That's one of the reasons I wanted you to come, so at least I'd have one person I knew sat with me,' she admits. I feel kinda bad for her and then I notice her wiping her eyes.

'Shit Sharon I didn't mean to upset you.'

'No it's fine,' she says biting her lip and I hug her. She's hugging me back and I think she's really upset.

'So will it be ok if I wear my t bird jacket?' I ask deadpan.

'Louis I hardly think that's appropriate....' she starts to say but then smiles when she realises I'm winding her up. There's a sudden fake coughing behind us and I look up and see Paulette stood there.

'Sharon about earlier, I didn't mean it,' she says glancing back at Rhonda and Stephanie who've obviously sent her over.

'Oh?' Sharon says giving nothing away.

'Look I'm sorry, I messed my lines up and I took it out on you, but you were having a go at me.' Some apology.

'I merely pointed out you haven't learnt your lines, and you haven't,' Sharon says not backing down.

'You were screaming in her face,' I add thinking that was out of order, I don't care if she thinks she is Johnny's new girlfriend.

'Ok I'm sorry, it's all my fault, please don't quit, we can't do it without you,' Paulette pleads and Sharon relents.

'Oh is that a new bracelet you've got? When did you get that?' Paulette says reaching towards Sharon's wrist, trying to distract her.

'It was a Thanksgivings present from my dad,' Sharon says rolling her eyes at me. I know all about her father's guilty gifts.

'Wow you're so lucky, my dad would never get me or Dolores anything like that, he's so stingy,' Paulette laughs.

'Yeah I guess it's nice,' Sharon says sounding tired. 'And it means he doesn't have to see us now till Christmas.'

'And I bet he gets you something even better then, you're such a lucky girl!' Jeez, Paulette's so dumb it's embarrassing.

'Aren't I just,' Sharon says with a small smile.

'Come on babe, let's go get lunch,' I say to Sharon to get her away from Paulette and her stupid babbling. Paulette looks a bit offended when we walk off but she really is clueless.                                                                                

                                                                    ****

Thanks for reading, votes/comments welcome!