Chapter 24

Davey

I'm hanging out with the guys at the Rydell luau, it's been put on as an end of year celebration by Mrs McGee. Since we won the talent show Johnny is king of the luau and Stephanie queen. However, after our run-in with that biker guy, Steph and Johnny aren't talking, and we're all keeping our distance from each other. Normally that wouldn't bother me but since Steph thinks we're responsible for the biker disappearing I can't help feeling guilty. Who knows what really happened to him?

I spot Dolores queuing by the ice cream stand. 'Hey Woodchuck,' I call heading over to her, and she predictably scowls.

'What have I told you about calling me that?'

'Sorry I thought you'd be in a better mood seeing as how it's the luau, and summer vacation....' My voice fades away, this is a bad idea.

'Yeah yeah,' she says. 'You try listening to Steph weeping and wailing, it's a bore. I bet Paulette's only consoling her cos she wants to keep her away from Johnny. God forbid Steph goes and cries on his shoulder.'

'I can't see Steph crying on anyone's shoulder, especially Johnny's. Not after he chased that guy away.'

'Steph's pathetic,' Dolores snarls. 'She's the worst pink lady leader ever! She makes Paulette look cool and that's saying something.'

I shrug. 'Steph's having a hard time, it's not easy being cool all the time.'

'You're not cool anyway,' she cackles.

'Nah I'm probably not.' I take a deep breath, it's now or never. 'I've got a bit of a problem.' 

'What kinda problem?' She looks up at me eagerly, giving me her full attention.

'Well I haven't got a girlfriend, all the guys have hooked up but there's no one I'm interested in.' I look down, scuffing my feet. 'It wouldn't bother me but Johnny's making a big deal of it, he's always trying to set me up with some girl or other.'

She frowns. 'So what's the problem? You ain't got a girl and Johnny's trying to find you one.'

'But I don't want him to find me one. I've told the guys this but they won't back off.' I can feel my face getting red. 'So I was wondering if I could tell them you're my girlfriend?'

'And why would I agree to that?' she splutters.

'Well I am a t bird, and an older guy, it might give you a bit of street cred at school next year.' I go for the kill and pitch my winning argument. 'You're bound to be made a pink lady with an old t bird as a boyfriend.'

Her mouth twitches as she pretends to think it over. 'Ok you've gotta a deal.' I breathe a sigh of relief. 'But there are ground rules.'

'Anything Dolores.'

'Well you've gotta let me hang out with you guys, and this is strictly platonic. Don't try and put your tongue down my throat.' She makes a gagging gesture.

'I can guarantee that won't happen,' I say laughing with relief.

'We've gotta make it look real though,' she says her brows furrowing.

'I'll hold your hand but I'll be respectful cos you're younger than me.' I actually think this could work. No one would approve of me being too serious with a high school girl, we'd have to keep it innocent.

'Well, since we're boyfriend-girlfriend you can buy my ice cream,' she says smirking.

I put my hand in my pocket rummaging around for some change, an ice cream is a small price to pay to get Johnny off my back.