Chapter 21

Sharon

We're having our final dress rehearsal and Stephanie is not with it at all. She's making loads of mistakes and everyone is getting pissed at her.

'I'll probably never see him again,' she whines to no one in particular.

I roll my eyes. 'You're not still going on about that stupid biker, are you? You don't even know who he is!' Talk about pathetic.

'If these jerks hadn't shown up I'd know exactly who he is,' she snarls giving Louis and Davey filthy looks. They smirk at each other and Steph's backing singers start to giggle. The way she's carrying on you wouldn't think she was supposedly the coolest girl in school.

Paulette waltzes onto the stage. 'How do I look girls?' she asks twirling around so we can all see her outfit. She preens in her basque and high heels, and all the guys gape at her.

'Paulette you are not wearing that, you look like a hooker,' Johnny snaps his face going red. It's true her legs are on show but they'll be hidden by the rest of the costume once her performance starts. Of course, Johnny hasn't really paid any attention to our act so he doesn't know that she'll be more covered up.

'I'll wear what I want Johnny,' she says putting her hands on her hips. 'I'm tired of you pushing me around.'

Johnny cuts his eyes at her. 'No chick of mine is gonna parade around in her underwear,' he says and Paulette laughs like it's a joke. She obviously likes the attention, he's called her his chick. It's probably the only thing he's ever said that suggests he cares.

Personally, after the other night I thought Paulette would have finished with him, he totally humiliated her. I think she's dumb to let him off the hook but I can't say anything, not after I forgave Louis so easily.

'Can we get started,' I say and I can tell Johnny's relieved I've interrupted their scene. I take my place on stage and Louis tells me I look nice but that's probably cos my dress is short, guys don't really notice much else.

I look over at Michael, waiting for him to start playing, but he's distracted talking to Steph. 'Today please Michael,' I shout and he pulls a face at Steph. 'Now!'

'Cool it, Sharon,' Louis whispers in my ear and I have to take a few deep breaths. I'm really getting sick of this, I knew I'd wind up doing all the work.

***

When we're done I hang back to watch the t birds performance and I have to admit it's not so bad now, I still think the song is awful though. Louis comes over to me grinning after they've finished.

'So shall we get something to eat?' he asks slipping his arm around my waist.

'Hey, can I come with you guys? I can't shake Dolores,' Davey asks coming over to us. Louis elbows him laughing.

'I thought you liked her,' he says snickering. 'Weren't you saying the other night that you had a crush on her.'

Davey blushes and I'm literally lost for words, surely it's the other way around?

'Nah she's too young,' Davey says flushing. 'I'm over it.'

'Like you ever had a crush,' Louis drawls. 'Well, it seems that the word has got back to Dolores.' Davey lets out a long groan and I'm struggling to make sense of the conversation.

'You had a crush on Dolores, and now you don't?' I ask trying to keep a straight face.

He shrugs, looking away. 'Something like that.'

I raise my eyebrows at Louis.

'I'll tell you later,' he says, and Davey sees red.

'You will not! It's none of her business. Why do you have to tell her everything?'

He sounds really mad and the way he says her makes it obvious he can't stand me. Like what have I ever done to him?

'Chill out Davey,' Louis says with an edge to his voice, and Davey looks like he wants to say more but he mutters that he's got stuff to do.

'Wow he really hates me,' I say watching Davey slope off.

'Nah, he's just got issues.'

I frown, I'm still not following what just happened there.

***

Davey

I'm kicking myself. I've totally blown it and now I have Dolores following me around like a little lap dog. I feel like shit, I knew she liked me, and I've gone and given her false hope. I'm just tired of the guys always hassling me. I thought if I said I was interested in someone, and that someone was unattainable, they'd leave me alone. I should have said I had a crush on Stephanie, at least there's no chance she would reciprocate the interest.

'Hey Davey,' Michael calls catching me up. He pulls an essay out from under his jacket and waves it in my face.

'Thanks,' I say as we make the exchange. I feel sorta bad about how we bullied him when he first got here, he's alright really.

'Everything okay?' he asks flitting his eyes towards Dolores who's hanging back as usual. I'd forgotten he was sorta friends with her.

'Yeah, why?' I say trying to sound natural.

'I heard there was something going on with you and Dolores,' he says, his mouth twitching. 'But it looks to me like you're desperately trying to avoid her.'

'You got the second part right,' I admit, and he raises his eyebrows. 'Look I just said I liked Dolores to get Johnny off my back. You know what he's like. Him and the guys were harassing me so I said I liked Dolores.'

Michael can't hide his smile now. 'I'm not following Davey, surely saying you like Dolores would make you more the subject of their teasing?'

I groan realising I've been stupid. I should have let them set me up with some girl, it would have got them off my backs for a while.

'I know that now,' I say my shoulders sagging. 'But we were at this bar, and they were going on about how I didn't have a girl, and Johnny was looking around to find me one. I had to say something to stop him.' I was so stupid to panic like that but the girls in the bar looked scary.

'Would it really have been so bad if Johnny had introduced you to someone, you might have liked her?' Michael suggests.

'I don't think I would have, I don't seem to like girls that way. I mean I like some girls but not in the way Johnny does.' I can't believe I'm telling him this!

'I guess they should respect that then,' Michael says his brows furrowing. 'There's no law that says you have to have a girlfriend, you've got your whole life to find someone.'

'Yeah but I don't think I want to. I guess I'm weird, like I can see a girl's nice and pretty, but I don't feel anything more than that.'

'Right,' Michael says slowly and I wish I hadn't shot my mouth off.

'I guess I'm some sorta freak,' I say as if it's all a bit of a joke.

'I wouldn't say that, you can't help who you're attracted to.' He clears his throat. 'Have you ever been attracted to anyone?'

'No that's what I mean,' I say quickly. I don't want him thinking that. 'It's just that girls don't really interest me, even Miss Mason, and all the guys think she's hot.'

Michael laughs. 'Half the guys just pretend they like her anyway cos she loves the attention. She'd eat them alive, Johnny included.'

I laugh cos I guess he certainly has a point about Miss Mason. As for the rest of it, I don't know....I wish I could just go back to pulling girls' pigtails, now that was fun.

***

Thanks for reading, please consider voting.