Chapter 22

Louis

'So what's going on with Davey?' Sharon asks when we get to the diner. I'm not sure how much I should tell her. I know she'll be pissed that Johnny took us to some sleazy bar, she's bound to think I cheated on her.

'The other day Johnny was talking about setting Davey up with a girl,' I say keeping it vague. 'I mean it's sorta strange, he's gotta be the only single t bird ever, and if he can't get a girl now then when will he?'

'Right,' she says twirling her cigarette holder. 'So what's the problem?'

'Well, Davey told Johnny he wasn't going to go out with any girl because he has this huge crush on Dolores.' Sharon bursts out laughing and I don't blame her. It sounds ridiculous when I say it out loud.

'So now Dolores thinks Davey likes her but you think he made it up to get Johnny off his back?' she asks her brows furrowing.

'Yeah I think that's exactly what he did but I don't know why.' I just can't figure it out, and of all girls, why pick Dolores?

'Well he obviously doesn't want Johnny matchmaking,' she says tilting her head to one side.

'The question is why?'

Sharon's frown deepens. 'I don't think Davey likes girls,' she says. 'Like in a boyfriend girlfriend sorta way.'

'No, you're right, he doesn't.' It seems obvious now she's said it. 'I don't think he's ever had a girlfriend or even been interested in a girl. A while back I thought he liked you...'

'What!' she splutters. 'Don't be stupid Louis, he can barely stand me since we got together. If anything I'd say it's you he likes.'

'Now who's being stupid,' I say laughing.

'Actually, I think I'm right,' she says her lips twitching as she tries not to smile. 'Maybe Davey doesn't like girls cos he likes guys.'

'Knock it off Sharon.' She shouldn't make jokes like this, if anyone overheard...

'I'm serious Louis,' she says lowering her voice. 'That would sorta make sense. Cos it's not like he's shy around girls like Eugene is, he just isn't interested.' I meet her eyes and I feel really uncomfortable, I think she might be onto something.

'I think we should change the subject, it's not cool.'

'You think I'm right don't you,' she says giggling.

'Yeah, maybe but you can't say a word, if this got out...God Davey would be a piranha.'

'You mean pariah Louis,' she says rolling her eyes.

'I'm serious Sharon,' I warn her. 'You can't say anything.'

'Fine just don't you be running off with him,' she says laughing harder.

'Shut up, Sharon.' We need to drop the subject. If she's right, and I think she might be, well Davey'll be in for all kinds of trouble.

                                                                                 ****

Davey

I should feel better after talking to Michael but I feel a whole lot worse. He didn't seem shocked when I said I kinda didn't like girls but I could tell he thought it was just a phase or something. Like I'd simply not met the right girl, or I'd like girls in time, and I'm not sure that'll ever happen. I almost wish I'd never grown up, or that I could bypass this stage, and go straight to being an old man. All this pressure to be coupled up, it's so stupid.

I head into the Bowlarama still feeling sorry for myself and meet up with Goose, Rhonda, Johnny and Paulette.

'Hey guys,' I say joining them at the bowling lanes.

'Hi Davey, I thought you were taking Dolores out?' Paulette cackles.

'Nah, I think one Rebchuck in the pink ladies is enough.' 

She looks puzzled as she tries to work out if I've insulted her or not.

Johnny smirks at me. 'Well, we've got room for one more pink lady now Steph's out. If there is some chick you like Davey now would be a good time to make a move.' Goose nudges me and inwardly I groan. Johnny just won't let up.

'What do you mean?' Rhonda asks looking confused.

'Stephanie is finito,' Johnny says adjusting the collar on his leather jacket. 'No way is she keeping her jacket after we caught her groping that guy outside her old man's service station.' 

Paulette looks smug. 'I guess the jacket is t bird property.' What a bitch!

'Can you do that Johnny?' Goose asks after Rhonda nudges him.

'I already have,' Johnny says and Rhonda opens her mouth ready to object.

'She's had it coming, Rhonda,' Paulette says not letting her speak. 'Do you think she'd act any differently if it was one of us fooling around like that?'

Rhonda glares at her. 'I don't think she'd throw any one of us out of the pink ladies.'

'Enough,' Johnny snaps clicking his fingers. 'It was my decision. You chicks don't get to decide shit like this.'

Now Paulette does look a bit annoyed, and Rhonda's whispering to Goose, trying to get him to intervene.

'So are you gonna get the girls a replacement leader?' Goose asks clearing his throat.

'Surely I should be the leader now since I'm your girlfriend,' Paulette pipes up and Johnny almost chokes on his drink.

'I think Sharon might object to that,' Rhonda says and I nod in agreement. I don't much like Sharon but no way does Paulette have leadership abilities.

Johnny grins. 'Maybe I'll bring in someone new.'

'That's not fair,' Paulette says pouting. 

'Yeah, why should a new girl come in and be made our leader?' Rhonda adds.

'Shouldn't the girls decide if they even want another girl in the pink ladies?' I ask.

'Davey's gotta point,' Goose says throwing his two cents in.

Johnny groans. 'Okay, you've got a point,' he says and I can tell by his tone of voice we won't like what he's gonna say next. 'The way the girls are always fighting I don't think it would be a good idea to bring someone else into the mix.'

'So does that mean I'm leader?' Paulette asks eagerly.

'No Paulette,' Johnny says cutting his eyes at her. 'After Steph's made a complete mess of it, I'm gonna be your leader for the time being.'

'Are you crazy Johnny?' Goose splutters. 'You can't be pink lady leader.'

'Well, I ain't gonna call myself that obviously,' Johnny drawls. 'But I'll have it be known, you chicks answer to me now.'

Goose catches my eye and I try my hardest not to laugh. Rhonda and Paulette are gaping at each other open-mouthed, and all I can think is Johnny has lost the plot. Pink lady leader! He's turning into a joke, he's gonna be a laughing stock when this gets out. At least it takes the heat off me though.

                                                               ****