Chapter 25

Davey

Dolores announced to everyone that we were an item during Stephanie and Michael's reunion, or whatever you wanna call it. I guess it was the ideal time since everyone's so relieved that the mystery biker is alive and so impressed that he's Michael. No way can my news that I've got a girlfriend compare. Even Paulette didn't seem interested, and I thought she might be reading me the riot act as I'm far too old for Dolores.

'That went well, thanks,' I tell Dolores and she smirks at me.

'If you're gonna be my guy you'd better start acting a bit tougher. All this gratitude, it's weak, it's not attractive so toughen up.'

'You want me to treat you bad,' I tease her. She folds her arms across her chest and pops her tongue in her cheek.

'Nah, but be a bit defiant, like Dimucci is when Sharon tells him what to do. We all know he's gonna do it but he gives her a bit of grief first.' I laugh, she's more clued up than I realised so this might just work.

'Do you think we should try out our new relationship status on someone?' I ask her. I wanna see if the guys buy it.

'Ok,' she says looking around. Paulette's fawning all over Johnny so I don't think they'll appreciate the interruption, I guess I should try Dimucci since he's probably my best friend. If he's fooled then I can assume everyone will be. I grab Dolores's hand and we make our way over to him and Sharon.

'Hey,' I say, and Sharon turns around smiling at us, or maybe trying not to laugh.

'So you and Dolores?' Dimucci asks with a raised eyebrow and Sharon giggles.

'Yeah, what about it?' Dolores snarls, and he shrugs.

'Don't you think she's a bit young for you?' Sharon asks me, and I'm ready for her.

'Yeah I know how it looks Sharon, the age gap is an issue so we'll take it slowly. I totally respect Dolores you know.' Sharon exchanges a look with Dimucci who shrugs again.

'Hey don't you worry about me,' Dolores says coming to my defence. 'I reckon I'm safer with Davey than you are with him.' She gives Louis a filthy look and Sharon's instantly offended.

'You don't know what you are talking about,' she says in that superior voice of hers. 'When you're in an adult relationship you'll have a different perspective.' I don't know what the hell she means, and looking at Dimucci I'd say he doesn't either.

'Our relationship is adult enough,' Dolores snaps. 'And it's way more respectful than yours.' Sharon scowls at her and even Louis looks annoyed.

'Leave us alone, we were having a private conversation anyway,' Sharon says turning back towards Louis. He gives me an apologetic look but his attention is on Sharon who now has her arms around him.

'Why'd you start an argument?' I ask Dolores as we walk away.

'Cos they weren't buying that we're together. Once I got Sharon on the defensive she wasn't thinking about whether we were the real deal or not.'

'Oh right.' I guess Dolores knew what she was doing. I hope we don't have to pull that routine with everyone though or I'll wind up with no friends. And if that happens then doing this will have all been for nothing.

                                                                           ****

Louis

'I kinda suspected Michael was the mysterious guy all along,' Sharon says as we make our way back over to the rest of the gang.

'Seriously Sharon?' I don't believe her for a moment. She pulls a face at me for doubting her.