Chapter 14

Louis

Johnny is in a foul mood now we're back at school again. Obviously, his Christmas party didn't go to plan but no one dares mention it since he's looking for an excuse to have a go at someone.

'We should have rehearsed during the holidays,' he snaps when Goose points out that we're the worst act in the talent show. Goose cocks his head towards the stage where the Preptones are rehearsing, they're easily our main competition. We might have natural talent but they're literally choir boys.

'We've gotta get it together like them, but with class,' Johnny says and Sharon almost laughs in his face.

'It's gonna take more than a few rehearsals for you guys to beat the competition,' she says. He glowers at her but he doesn't say anything back. Sharon might be a girl but she's got a sharp tongue, and Johnny knows he'd probably come off worse.

'What it's gonna take is some positive mental attitude,' he snarls. 'Besides we wouldn't have got in if we didn't have a chance.'

'Everyone made it, they didn't have enough acts,' Eugene pipes up, and Johnny growls at him. He cowers and Sharon grabs his arm pulling him over to the side of the stage. They sit down together and she tries to smooth his ruffled feathers. If it was anyone but Eugene I'd think it was all an act to get her attention.

I'm glad she's distracted though when we're called on stage to perform our piece. It's bad, not just the words, the whole act. Johnny struts up front as lead singer but only Paulette, who's watching from the wings, looks impressed.

'Thank you Mr Nogerelli,' Ms McGee calls out sounding almost relieved it's over. 'That will be all for today.'

'Yeah that was very nice,' Johnny says as if he doesn't realise we stank. 'We can work on the harmonies.' Ms McGee nods, her face a mixture of a smile and a frown. Johnny and Goose head off, Davey following.

'Hey where are you going?' Sharon yells at him. He turns around looking nervous.

'Well you don't need me for anything yet, you haven't got a set,' he stutters and Sharon shakes her head.

'Yes but you need to know your place for when we do. In the meantime use your imagination,' she says speaking slowly.

Davey comes back over muttering under his breath. 'God she is such a control freak.' I don't say anything cos she kinda is, she's taking this way too seriously. We go sit at the side of the stage cos there isn't anything we can do but watch.

'Hey Jaworski,' Dolores says sitting next to Davey. Sharon roped her in to help with props so she has even less to do than we do.

'Hi,' he says awkwardly, and Dolores takes that as her cue to continue.

'How was your Christmas, did you go to Johnny's party? I wanted to but Paulette wouldn't let me.'

'I think you'd have been a bit young for his party,' he says and Dolores pulls a face. 'I'm serious Dolores, Johnny was playing this game where he was getting all the girls on his knee, and...well I don't think you'd have liked it.'

'Jeez I'm not a kid!' She folds her arms across her chest pouting.

'No but you wouldn't want to be forced to make out with Johnny would you?'

'Eww,' she says and we laugh. 'No wonder Paulette's been in a bad mood.'

'Yeah I don't blame her, if she's supposed to be his girlfriend,' Davey says his brows furrowed. I tune them out and watch the twins perform, I suppose they're kinda cute but their act is lame. Sharon's convinced they'll beat her though. I don't think they will but you can tell they're Miss Mason's favourites. I see Shakespeare beckoning to me so I go over and we hide behind the curtain.

'You got that essay?' I whisper and he smirks in return.

'You got the cash?' We quickly make the exchange, and I head back to Davey who's now sat by himself while Dolores takes her orders from Sharon. Davey raises his eyebrows looking at the essay I'm holding.

'Yeah it's Shakespeare's handiwork,' I admit. 'I've not had much time, what with Christmas and everything.' By everything I mean Sharon, it's hard to get her alone.

'So things are going ok with Sharon?' he asks his eyes flitting over to her.

'Yeah, why wouldn't they be?'

'I dunno, at Johnny's party you didn't seem too happy when she was sat on his knee,' he says grinning.

'Thanks for that.'

'Sorry it was just a joke, I didn't think Johnny would go that far with her.'

'Yeah well, Johnny should have more respect.' I'm still pissed off about him groping Sharon.

'So are you still going to her sister's wedding?' Davey asks clearing his throat.

'Yeah and I'll get to meet Sharon's dad,' I say grimacing. For all that he doesn't see much of Sharon, I get the impression he's pretty overprotective of her.

'You'd better be on your best behaviour,' Davey warns.

'Nah it'll be fine, Sharon said we're going to be sat with some of her cousins so we'll be well away from all her old relatives. We won't really see her parents.' Hopefully.

'It's her sister's wedding, you're bound to be sat near them.'

'No we won't be,' I say lowering my voice. 'Sharon's sister's keeping her out of the way, she doesn't really want her there. That's why she wouldn't let her be a bridesmaid.' I know Sharon's upset about it but she's pretending she doesn't care.

'Why doesn't she want her there?' Davey asks keeping his voice down.

'I dunno, her family are weird. Like her brother isn't going cos her dad's gonna be there, and her step mom's been told to stand at the back of the church.'

'Sounds like a fun day,' he laughs. I spot Sharon glaring at us and I hush Davey up as she comes over.

'What are you talking about?' she demands, holding a clipboard against her chest.

'Just the wedding on Saturday.' She rolls her eyes and sighs dramatically.

'I've got to get another dress, can you believe it?' she says. 'I was going to wear that blue dress I had on for Johnny's party but mom said it's too short. So I got this peach dress but Joanne thinks it's too close to white to wear at a wedding.'

'Wear what you want,' I say cos they sound like they're being difficult. 'I bet you look nicer than Joanne so whatever you wear she's gonna moan.' Sharon smiles so I've got myself a few points there.

'Well to be strictly truthful, her wedding dress is awful,' she giggles. 'It's got that many layers it swamps her and she looks sorta fat, or pregnant!'

'Maybe she is pregnant?' Davey suggests.

'Don't be ridiculous,' Sharon snaps making him jump. 'She's not that dumb.' Davey shrugs and I try not to groan. Sharon is kinda paranoid about pregnancy, or maybe it's just an excuse. She goes over to the piano to give Michael his music but he's paying more attention to Steph than to what she's saying. For a smart guy, he's sorta dumb.

'I don't know why he's wasting his time with Steph,' I say and Davey nods.

'Him and Johnny both.'

'But his uncle's got this bomb shelter. He's in there every night by himself, you'd think he'd get a girl in there with him.' Talk about wasted opportunities.

'Yeah,' Davey says. 'I guess he doesn't like girls? Well apart from Steph.'

'It could be that but I'd be taking advantage of it if I were him,' I say looking at Sharon again. Now If I could just get her alone somewhere....

****