Chapter 23

Sharon

Oh my god, I am so nervous about the talent show it's not funny! I just know Steph's going mess it up for us. Rhonda was going to drive us all there, but no, Steph has to go alone. She's actually gone and arranged a date before the show starts. How dumb is that?

'He said he'd meet her out front,' Paulette says sticking her head into the front of Rhonda's car and I feel my anxiety levels rising. I light another cigarette to try and calm my nerves but it's having zero effect.

'Well personally I think she's being very inconsiderate to the rest of us,' I say in my best snooty voice. 'We've put a lot of work into this and she's bound to put on a totally shambolic performance and let us down.'

'Don't be so harsh Sharon,' Rhonda chides but Paulette agrees.

'She's let all of us down lately, no wonder Johnny had to take her jacket.'

I smile slightly, Paulette can hardly contain her glee about how that's worked out!

Rhonda slows down as we pass the front of the hall where we're going to perform, keeping her eyes peeled for an empty parking space. I spot Steph and she comes running towards us forcing Rhonda to brake.

Very brave of her considering Rhonda's driving skills!

'Sharon, open the door,' she screams, shoving me over as she gets in the car.

'For god's sake,' I grumble getting squashed. 'What on earth's the matter?'

'Rhonda drive!' Steph yells ignoring me. 'The t birds are gonna kill him!'

She points to the road ahead and I can just make out the t bird bikes. Rhonda accelerates trying to catch up to them and I ask Steph again what's happening.

'Johnny turned up at the same time as my date so he took off,' Steph wails. 'Now all the t birds are chasing him. I know Johnny's gonna kill him.'

I almost tell her not to be so utterly ridiculous; Rhonda's driving is appalling, if anyone's gonna die here it'll be us.

'Stephanie, calm down,' Paulette says irritably. 'Why would Johnny kill him? Of course, he won't.'

'He will! He's so jealous of him I know he's gonna hurt him.'

I shake my head. 'Steph I really don't think Louis and Goose would let that happen.'

Steph glares at me. 'Shut up, they're nothing more than sheep. They'll do what Johnny tells them.'

I give her my best scowly face. She might be upset but there's no need to be so rude.

'Sharon's right,' Rhonda adds as she gains pace on the t birds. 'None of the guys are gonna to get themselves into trouble over Johnny's little grudge.'

'And anyway Steph, Johnny's with me now, he's not jealous of your guy,' Paulette pipes up.

I'm not so sure about that but I'm certain Louis won't be fighting with someone he doesn't even know in order to keep Johnny happy. I won't let him anyway.

Rhonda slows down as the road ends and we pull onto a building site that has little more than a dirt track. The t birds have got off their bikes, and Steph jumps out of the car before Rhonda's come to a complete stop. I get out after her looking into the darkness, I can see the t birds stood up ahead but there's no sign of Steph's guy or his bike.

                                                                                  ****

Davey