Chapter 3: Anteiku

Ruby put the hoodie on to hide others from her tears. It was a dark grey, easily pushing away any eyes that went towards her due to the very inconspicuous nature of it. She ran towards the subways. They always seemed to help her when she was sad. Though, who knows, she hasn't gone since Roman Torchwick and the white fang used an unused subway tunnel to send Grimm into the city. Ruby silently cried and boarded the subway. She got on and sat in one of the seats, hunched over with her elbows on her knees and her hands cradling her temple.

Eventually, after a few stops of the train, she stopped crying. Took about half an hour to do so, but it was done that's when she realized it. Her mouth was watering due to the smell.

The smell of people around her.

The smells of human flesh. Man flesh. Woman flesh. Child flesh. Flesh, Meat, Eat, to the bone! MAN MEAT! WOMAN MEAT WOMAN FLESH MAN FLESH! EATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEATEAT-

Ruby's eyes widened at her thoughts. She couldn't believe it. She wanted to... No, it's not that she wants...

She has too.

That's when she realized about the knife in her pocket. The small knife she put in here. Why did she put it in here? Did she subconsciously know she would need it? She in the reflection of the window across from Ruby saw the boy next to her, about a year or two older than her, was looking at her concerned. Her first victim. She still had enough tears in storage. A few dripped down her cheek and traced along her nose. She whimpered.

"Hey..." the boy said. "Are you okay?" He continued. Perfect, thanks for asking.

"I-I'm fi... No... I'm not..." Ruby said, forcing a few more tears from her eyes.

"Do you need a hug?" He asked. Perfect. Nobody else was in their train car, they were alone. Easy.

Ruby nodded, silently grabbing the knife in her hoodie pocket. The boy silently wrapped his arms around her. He quietly shushed and rubbed her back. Ruby's grip on the small knife tightened eyes against the unknown boy's shoulder. She had to do this. She had to. She had to... she had to...

She had to...

She couldn't.

She let go of the knife in her pocket.

She broke again and started weeping openly into the boy's shoulder. She hugged back. She couldn't kill this boy who was only doing what was right. She doubted she could even kill someone trying to kill someone else. She just didn't have it in her.

"It's okay. You're fine. Everything's okay." The boy said between shushes. It stayed like that for about half an hour. Ruby finished crying and quietly pulled away from the boy.

"I-I have somewhere to be." Ruby said.

"Don't we all?" The boy said. "We're all just taking detours to the same destination." He muttered solemnly. "I... Thank you... You caused me to see that the travel and the detours are what counts. Not the destination."

"What do you mean?" Ruby asked. The boy gave a small chuckle.

"Nothing. It's just a little wisdom I found." He said before standing up and walking to the opening train doors.

She never saw that boy again.
__________
Ruby was walking home, back to Beacon. She had missed the stop that was closest to the school. She walked and walked. That is, until she came across this quaint little coffee shop.

"Anteiku..."

She recognized it.

Rize would always have a cup o' joe from here at school. She was staring in the window. Past the "Sorry, We're closed" sign Ruby could see her face. For the entire walk since the train, Ruby kept her head down, never looking into someone else's eyes. That was good because now, one of her eyes were silver, like normal. The other was like Rize's. Black and Red. Her hand slowly rose to the skin slightly under her eye, her finger tips just barely registering against it. She then looked past the shop window, inside the quaint little coffee shop. Inside stood a waiter with a light punk rock vibe, looking directly into Ruby's eyes. The waiter was not afraid, however. She looked more surprised and confused. She blinked and her eyes were black and red, same as Rize's and now, Ruby's. She ushered Ruby to enter before blinking again, her eyes changing back to their normal. Ruby, being ever so trusting, walks into the small cafe. Inside, she looks around to see the girl in the coffee shop, failing as the coffee shop appears to be completely empty. Sighing, Ruby turned to the door to leave, only to get slammed against the wall and held there by a forearm on her neck.

"What did you do to Rize!?" The girl growled out, her eyes were black and red. The first trademark of a Ghoul, with second being their Kagune.

"Y-You didn't hear? Sh-She..." Ruby started, tears forming in her eyes.

"She died..." Ruby finally got out.

"Wh-What?" The waiter said, shocked but still keeping the 15 year old rose haired girl pinned against the wall.

"She attacked me... almost killed me... then girders fell onto her and... they used her organs to save me and now... I'm..." Ruby trailed off.

"Now I'm a Ghoul too..."

The waiter eventually let her down from the wall, after a minute or too. "God damn..." The waiter mumbled.

"Could you..." Ruby started before trailing off again. "C-Could you teach me how to be a Ghoul?" Ruby asked. The waiter looked to her for about five seconds before sighing.

"Come here in the morning."