Chapter 19: Bugged Out

"I ever tell you that you have beautiful eyes?"

The sounds of Ruby's screaming filled the room as Jason plunged the knife next to her eye, expertly clipping the optic nerves before using the knife to pop the eye out into his hand.

"That's enough." Ozpin, the headmaster of Beacon, said. The video stopped, cutting off the screams of Ruby and laughter of Jason. He looked to the jar containing two silver eyes on his desk. He looked over to the other person in the room, Glynda Goodwitch, another Professor at the school and possibly his most trusted confidant at Beacon. Her face showed the same concern and shock he felt, though he didn't show it as easily...

But this gave him a run for his money...

He looked out the window, out over Vale.

"How do I tell Qrow? How do I tell Tai?!" Ozpin exclaimed. "She told us not to let her into Beacon, not until she'd have deemed her ready... but I... I was impatient! If I had only waited than none of this!.." Ozpin paused. "No... can't focus on the past. Important things to be done now..." He muttered, only to himself. He looked back at Glynda. "Summon Qrow... he'll want to know." Glynda nodded and Oz looked back out over Vale.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Rose... I couldn't protect her..." Oz muttered to his self.
___________________
Darkness.

That's all Ruby saw.

No, that's not right.

It's more that she couldn't see any light or darkness.

No light. No darkness. Just...

Nothing.

But yet that doesn't seem right to her either. She couldn't describe what it was like to not see because there are no real words to describe it.

The weirdest thing about it though, was when her vision returned even though her eyes weren't healed yet. Ruby's "eyes" opened to see a cliff with a tombstone on it. The ground covered with white roses. In front of the tombstone sat a person on ground, draped in a white cloak.

"M-Mom?"
_____________
Weiss stood in front Amon as he sat at a desk.

"Amon..." Weiss started, pausing to fully think out her sentence. "What now?" She asked. "I mean, I was an intern to Mado but now he's gone and-"

"Wait, I thought you were an understudy." Amon said.

"No, intern."

"Goddamnit Mado..." Amon grumbled. "Interns aren't allowed to go out into the field. They're supposed to deal with paperwork." He said louder.

Weiss was silent. She looked over to the couch. "Can I borrow a pillow real quick?" She asked, gesturing to the couch pillows.

"Sure."

"Thanks." Weiss said. She went over and grabbed a pillow off of the couch. She screamed as hard as she could into the pillow.

Overtime, the screaming turned into sobbing as she sat down onto the couch.
_____________________
"M-Mom?" Ruby said under her breath in shock. This was enough to gain the white cloaked person's attention, as they turned their head around to look at her.

Dad said she looked a lot like her mother but the appearance was uncanny. It was like looking in the mirror, they looked practically the same.

Complete with the gouged out eyes.

The figure tilted their head and smiled, completely ignoring the maggots and worms falling from their eyes and mouth. They opened their mouth and spoke in her voice.