Chapter 8: First Day, First Kill

One day After Weiss and Ruby's argument on Ghouls.
_________
Weiss stood in the elevator, waiting for it to stop. She was alone in the elevator. Myrtenaster at her side. She was in her combat skirt, the one she uses for Huntress duties. The white conflicted with the off black of the elevator surrounding her. It was stuffy in there, like there was no air that could move. The only things moving were her heart and her thoughts, both were going a hundred miles a minute.

'Don't freak out Weiss, you earned this. But what if I didn't. What if they only hired you because of your last name? What if they don't like me? What if they don't like the way I dress?' Weiss thought, looking down at her clothes at that last thought. 'What if they don't find Myrtenaster good enough of a weapon? What if...' She thought, her hand that was resting on the hilt of Myrtenaster tightened. She thought of one of the most likely reasons they hired her.

'What if they hired me because they think Ruby's a Ghoul? And they're using me to get close to her and find out?'

'What if I end up betraying a friend?'

The doors of the elevator opened to reveal a woman at a desk. It was a large curved desk. Maximum area of work with Minimum waste of space. Efficient. This coupled with the fact that she's the first person you see once you get on the floor told Weiss the woman's job.

Secretary.

Should be nice to her. Despite what people think, secretaries are more powerful than the boss they work for. Always. Knowing this, Weiss walked up to the desk and looked at the woman before speaking.

"Excuse me," Weiss said politely, garnering the attention from the woman. She looked to be around 23-24. Her eyes were a nice blue and her hair was to her shoulders, brunette in color. She had a smile on her face that Weiss tried to replicate but it just came up a little forced, which is good because it was a lot forced. "I have an appointment with a Mr. Kureo Mado?" Weiss asked, politely. "I'm his new intern and I hope I didn't misread the date on the acceptance letter." The secretary giggled.

"No, you certainly did not. Kureo Mado's office is that way." The secretary said pointing to her left. "Take your first left and then a right. Third office down." She said. Weiss nodded and went to leave before the secretary cleared her throat, causing Weiss to look back at her. The secretary's smile faltered, showing her concern. "Good luck dealing with Mr. Mado. He's... well... let's just say that he enjoys his job too much." The secretary said before going back to her duties. Her smile had completely fallen showing concern for the girl.

'Enjoys his job too much? What does she mean by that?' Weiss asked, not out loud but in her head. She nodded slowly in confusion before heading down to Mr. Mado's office.

When she arrived, she saw the white haired man that had searched her school sitting at the desk looking over some paper, grumbling about "goddamn paper work piece o shit." It was a little disconcerting. Weiss nervously knocked on the door. The man looked up at her.

"Ah, Weiss Schnee." The man said, his voice sending shivers down her spine. "You're my new Intern correct?" He asked, standing up.

"Yes, I a-" She started before, Mado picked up the paper work and pushed it into Weiss's arms.

"I'm going out, finish this work by 5." Mado said before walking out, leaving a confused Weiss. After a couple minutes, Weiss scowled.

"Mado..." She muttered, her voice full of rage. She then, albeit begrudgingly, spent the next 3 hours doing the paper work. After an hour of paper work, the secretary entered the room, asking for Myrtenaster to send it to get coated in the metal that can kill ghouls. She informed that at the end of the internship, the metal would be taken off with no damage to Myrtenaster. With this guarantee, Weiss agreed, as long as there would be no discoloration. That was guaranteed as well.
_____________
Finally after 3 long hours, Weiss finally finished the paper work. The secretary walked in, returning Myrtenaster, which had a layer of new metal that, if you weren't Ruby or Weiss, wouldn't be noticed. When she left, Mado walked in.

"You get the paperwork done?" He asked. Weiss nodded. Mado smiled creepily. Not purposefully, it's just how he was. Offsetting. Like a robot that doesn't quite convince you it's human. A flickering light in an otherwise perfect scene.

"Then lets go hunting."
_________________
Weiss was unsure what was in Mado's metal briefcase or why he needed it to "hunt" whatever they're hunting. He had also gotten his partner, the man who accompanied Mado in his search of Beacon, a man named Koutaru Amon.

"What are we hunting?" Weiss asked, confused as to why the three were still in the city.

"Ghouls." Mado simply said. Weiss's eyes widened. It's her first day! And she's going to have to... 'No, surely you won't be the one to do that... not on the first day...' Weiss thought.

They walked into an alley and came up behind a Ghoul, eating a male corpse. Weiss gags, alerting the Ghoul to their presence. He turns around just as Mado's briefcase clicks open and the body of the briefcase falls to the floor, leaving the suitcase handle in his hands and three small blue tentacles connected to it. Before the Ghoul could react, Mado raised the handle and the tentacles quickly wrapped around the Ghoul's leg. Mado used this to smash the Ghoul into the ground a couple times. Amon didn't even bother opening his briefcase. After enough slams to make the Ghoul tired enough to stop moving besides breathing. He slammed the Ghoul in front of Weiss.

"Kill it." Mado said. 'It?' She asked in her head before noticing the deranged smile on the man's face. 'That's what she meant... he enjoys killing Ghouls...' She gripped the hilt of Myrtenaster righted as she pulled it out. 'You can do this. Just get through the program and you don't have to do this anymore.' She raised it up into the air. She hesitated for just a small moment before driving it down, as if she were summoning a glyph. Mado smiles at her. "Congratulations, Your first kill." He said before walking off with Amon next to him.

Unknown to both detectives of the CCG, Weiss was silently crying.