Chapter 4: Hiding

"But first," The waiter said. "We gotta get some meat in ya!" She continued before walking into the back, leaving Ruby in the abandoned storefront. After a few moments of silence and Ruby absentmindedly touching things such the corners of chairs and tables, the waiter came back with a brown package in her hand. She held it out for the red reaper. "Here. Eat." Ruby gently took it out of the waiter's hand.

"Th-This... it's people?" Ruby asked, her hands shaking. The waiter nodded.

"If what you said is true, which I believe, then you can't eat other things. Nothing besides people. You can stall with coffee, but that's about all you can do. So eat. If you don't eat after a while y-" the waiter said before being interrupted.

"I go feral... right? Can't control myself? Hurt those I love?" Ruby asked. The waiter nodded regretfully. Ruby groaned and rubbed her eyes with her other hand before using it to open the brown package.

She then began to eat as the clock struck 12. Midnight.
__________________

"RUBY!"

"WHERE ARE YOU RUBY?"

"RUUBYY!"

Yang and Jaune were out searching for Ruby. Ever since her exit, Team RWBY and JNPR have been searching for her but by now, Yang and Jaune were the only ones left, the rest being too tired seeing as it is currently 2:30 AM.

"C'mon Yang, we know Ruby. She can handle herself." Jaune said to Yang. Yang turned to the blonde boy and her eyes softened.

"I know but... I can't just leave while she's in pain!" She said, hands curled into fists. Jaune put his hand on her shoulder in a comforting manner.

"She would want you to wait until you're well rested. She has your best interests at heart." Jaune said, a small smile on his face. Yang lightly smiled.

"When the hell did Vomit Boy become so wise?" Yang said, starting to walk back to the dorms with Jaune. Her statement caused him to simply smile and roll his eyes. They arrived at the dorms and walked in, headed towards the stairs so they could get to their room. That's when Yang saw her. Ruby. Her sister. She was walking towards the stairs to their dorm. Yang ran to her so fast, you would have expected rose petals to follow her. Yang hugged Ruby tight.

"WHERE WERE YOU!?" Yang said, tears in her eyes.

"O-Out..." Ruby said, stumbling from her sister practically jumping onto her.

"I was so scared." Yang said, her grip on Ruby not getting any looser.

"Y-Yeah... sorry about that..." Ruby mumbled, her voice barely audible. Yang was crying  while she hugged Ruby, not because she was sad, but because she was relieved that her sister wasn't in danger.

"Don't do that again. Promise me." Yang said as Jaune walked to his dorm not wanting to ruin the moment.

"I... I won't. I promise." Ruby said lightly hugging back. "I won't."
_____________
Ruby woke up this morning tired. Goddamnit, why did she close yesterday? It's been about a month since the incident of her running off. Everything's gone back to normal, though no one on team RWBY or JNPR knew where she went after school. Anteiku was a nice place to work. After her shift, she would train in hand to hand combat and was getting a lot better. She was a fast learner after all. She had to be with what she now was. Learn fast or die.

She sat up to see Weiss patiently waiting fully dressed. This was weird because yes, she does wake up earlier than the rest of the team, but usually only a couple minutes. But long enough to shower and get dressed. So what's caused this? Blake was waiting next to the personal shower, waiting for whoever was in there, presumably Yang, to get out.

"What's going on?" Ruby asked, eyes half lidded with sleep. Weiss turned to Ruby, her eyes glaring with anger.

"Of course you forgot! Only you could forget!" Weiss exclaimed, throwing her hands up. Ruby's eyes narrowed, as if to say "Just tell me." Weiss sighed and rubbed her eyes. "The CCG is coming by. Make sure nobody's a ghoul." She said. Ruby's eyes widened. 'SHIT! OH SHIT, FUUUUUCK! THE DAMN CCG IS COMING, I CANT BE HERE WHEN THEY ARRIVE!' Thought Ruby.

"That's today?" Ruby asked, eyes still wide. 'Thank god it's Sunday.'

"Yes that's today!" Weiss exclaimed, obviously angry.

"I can't. I have work." Ruby said getting up and grabbing her clothes.

The shower turned off. Yang walked out with a towel covering her. "You... have a job?" She asked. Ruby nodded. "Since when?"

"Oh, a couple weeks ago." Ruby said pushing Yang out of the way to get in the shower.

"HEY!" Yelled Blake, wanting to get the shower before the hot water was gone
________
Ruby got out of the bathroom, dressed for work. Weiss, Yang (now fully dressed), and Blake looked at Ruby in surprise.

"Spiffy." Yang said.

"Where do you work so that we may visit?" Weiss asked.

"It's called Anteiku." Ruby said before giving them the address and leaving.
__________
Ruby walked in and The waiter who had helped her when she walked in and got her this job, named Touka, looked up and raised a brow.

"You're not due here till 9. What're you doing here?" Touka asked.

"CCG's making rounds around Beacon. Making sure there's no ghouls. Couldn't stay." Ruby said. "So I thought I'd clock in, get some money."

"Well," Touka smiled. "I'd rather have you here than not." Ruby smiled in response and got to work.