Chapter 20: Darwin

Yang was in the gym. It was about two in the morning. She was making use of a punching bag. Her mind wasn't in the training.

She was thinking of Ruby.

How could she have been so... weak!?

She's a huntress yet she couldn't save her own sister!

It's her fault she's gone! If she had been stronger, if she had been better, if she could've just gotten up in time then Ruby would still be here and she wouldn't be wasting her time here pounding against a fucking punch bag as if it'd help! But it can't help! It won't help because she can't help like THE FUCKING USELESS FAILURE SHE IS!

SLAM!

The punching bag broke, flying off the chain while leaking sand. Yang sighed as she unwrapped her hands.

Now she had this mess to clean up.
_____________________
Ruby was once more on the cliff top covered with white roses.

"Her and her fucking ideology!" Qrow's voice rang out behind her. Ruby turned around and found herself home in patch.

"Qrow, shush, Ruby's sleeping." Taiyang, Ruby's father, said as he tried to calm the drunk Qrow down.

"The goddamn weak die and the strong survive... Ha! What kind of-" Qrow started, but his voice faded as those words repeated.

The weak die.

The strong survive.

The weak die.
The strong survive.

The weak die. The strong survive.

The weak DIE.The strong SURVIVE.

She was back at the cliff, looking at the grave .

Summer Rose
Thus kindly I scatter.

What about her then? She was strong! Wasn't she!?

"Was she?"

There it was. That voice again. It wasn't there before, yet it was. It never left. It never came.

"If she were strong,"

Stop it.

"You'd still be able to see her."

No...

"You'd still hear her voice,"

Please stop....

"Still eat her cookies,"

Shut up shUT UP SHUT UP!

The voice was gone, quiet for what felt like the first time.

"Wouldn't familial bonds keep her alive?"

...

"Wouldn't the want to see her little girl grow up be stronger than anything?"

....

"Tell me... what would you do to see her again?"

...anything...

"If someone died because she lived?"