Chapter 8 ~ Conversations

Jake's POV

I was about to open the door to my car when I heard footsteps behind me. I knew exactly who it was. I turned around and smirked.

"What do you want, Shorty?" I asked.

"I want you to stay away from Emma." He responded, crossing his arms.

"And why would I do that?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"Because she's mine." He said. This actually made me laugh out loud. "Tch. What are you laughing at, brat?"

"You seriously think that she's going to go for you? I've known her for way longer than you have and way better, too. If she's going to be anybody's, she's going to be mine." I told him.

"I doubt that. Have you seen the way she looks at me? Everybody else has. She doesn't look at you that way. And yet, she only met me yesterday." He said with a slight smirk on his lips, stepping closer to me.

"That doesn't matter. It only matters who she actually falls for." I told him, looking down at him.

"And that somebody will be me." He said.

"We'll see about that." I responded. "I like her, you like her. We'll just have to see which one of us she falls for."

"You're on, brat." He responded and then walked back into the house.

I smirked to myself again. There's no way I'm losing this.

Emma's POV

Levi was gone for about five minutes before he finally came back.

When he came back, I decided that I would ask him about it before we went to bed. It was only a little bit past 8:30 now.

"Sooo, what do you guys want to do now?" I asked.

"I have a question." Hanji said, rather seriously for once. "Are you and Jake dating?"

I was taken back by the question. "W-what?! D-dating?! No, we're not dating!" I stuttered.

"Well you two seem to get along and know each other really well." Hanji said.

"That's just because we've know each other for forever and we've been best friends ever since. Believe me, Jake is a really great guy, but I don't know if I can see us dating in the future." I told her. From across the room I could see Levi wearing a small smirk.

"Anyways, I'm really tired. Do you guys want to just go to bed now?" I asked. They nodded and agreed with me. They began to go their ways to their rooms but I stopped Levi by the shoulder.
"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" I asked.

"Sure." He responded and we sat down on the couch as soon as everybody else had left.

"So, is something going on with you and Jake?" I asked him.

"What do you mean?" He looked bit confused, but also like he was faking it...

"Well, I've been noticing lately that you two always seem to glare at each other and not get along too well. I mean, I know it's only been two days but still... it seems like you're... fighting about something... for something." I told him.

"That's possible." Levi responded.

This got me confused. "Wait, what do you-" I couldn't finish my sentence because he leaned in and kissed me.

His lips were softer than I had expected them to be. It didn't last for too long though, so I didn't have time to get over my shock and kiss him back. He slowly pulled away and then kissed my forehead and softly said, "Goodnight, Emma." He then got up and went to bed. I was left on the couch confused and shocked about what he just did.

I put my fingers up to my lips. Levi just... kissed me... And I... liked it... Does that mean... I like him...?

I was lost in my thoughts before Hanji appeared in the doorway. "Emma? Are you coming to bed?" She asked. "Is something wrong?"

"H-huh? Oh! Nothing! Let's just go to bed now." I said and walked past her.

"Did something just happen with Levi?" She asked me.

I stopped and turned back around, us still in the hallway. "W-what? What do you mean? No, of course not!"

"You're lying." She said. "Tell me what happened. Did he make a move? Did he confess to you?" She gasped. "DID HE KISS YOU?!"

"W-what?! No! He didn't!" I tried to cover up.

She gasped again. "Oh my walls, he DID kiss you!" I quickly put my hand over her mouth.

"Shhh! Here." I went into my room and motioned for her to sit on the bed with me. "Yes, okay. He did kiss me. But..."

"But what?" She inquired.

"I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, I did kind of... like it." I said, looking down.

"Awwe, you like him!"

"I... I don't know..."

"Oh come on! It's completely obvious." She said. "Although... it seems like Jake feels that same way, too."

"What do you mean?" I had no idea what she was talking about.

"It's obvious that Jake likes you." She said.

"Nonsense. We're just really close best friends. That's all."

"Nope nope nope." She said, wiggling her finger in front of me.

Maybe she was right? Maybe that's why he and Levi have been seeming to irritate each other lately.

"Maybe that's why..." I said out loud.

"Why what?" Hanji asked.

"Nothing, it's just... Levi and Jake haven't been seeming to get along very much lately." I told her. "I don't want to seem cocky, but do you think-"

"They're fighting over you!" Hanji exclaimed. I sighed.

"Ughh." I said and laid down onto my bed.

"Hey, it'll all be okay." Hanji said to me.

"Thanks." I replied. "But just promise me that you won't tell Levi that I like him." I said, sitting back up and looking Hanji right in the eyes.

"I promise! Although..." Uh-oh... "I'm always up for playing match-maker!" She exclaimed.

"Hehe, whatever. Goodnight, Hanji." I said while reaching up to turn off my lamp.

"Goodnight, Emma." Hanji said back, crawling onto the pullout bed.

We were then in darkness. Levi and Jake... both like me. I know who I like... but what about Jake? I don't want to hurt him... When Levi "went to the bathroom earlier", were they out there talking...? About me...?

I put my thoughts to rest and closed my eyes, immediately falling into sleep.