Chapter 28 ~ Into the light

We walked through the forest heading to the old well. I walked beside Levi, holding his hand. Jake was on the other side of me. Everybody else was close behind us.

The walk to the well seemed to take ages. Maybe it's because I know I'm about to leave this world... about to leave Jake... forever.

Of course I didn't want to leave him, he was my best friend after all. He was there for me through everything, good or bad. He would keep me company late into the night when I missed my parents. He'd laugh with me and always cheer me up. He was always there, and vice versa.

But I had made my choice, and I knew that he was okay with it. I almost wish the cast could just stay here with the both of us, but I know that's impossible. Their world needs them. They can't just leave it and everybody there behind.

"We're here." Jake said a bit softly. I looked up and saw that he was right. Before us was the old well. It was rusted and dirty, with leaves growing on it.

"Are you sure about this?" Levi asked, turning to face me and giving my hand a squeeze.

"Yeah." I nodded. "Just give me a second." I them turned to Jake. He already had tears in his eyes. My heart felt like it was breaking every time I saw him in this kind of state. Tears soon came to my eyes, too, and rolled down my cheeks.

"Emma..." He said, voice cracking with the tears and we simultaneously pulled each other into a tight hug. We stood there hugging for a few minutes, crying into each other's shoulder.

"Thank you." I slowly pulled away. My hands were on his shoulders and I looked deeply and sincerely into his eyes. "You were there for me for as long as I can remember. You knew me inside and out. I don't think I could have managed if it had been just me. I don't know how I could ever thank you enough. Just... thank you... for everything..."

"Emma..." He said and a few fresh tears fell from his eyes. "The same goes for you. You were there through the ups and downs. From the very day we met, I knew we were going to be best friends. I just didn't expect to be separated so soon..."

I looked down. "I'm sorry..." I said softly.

"Don't be. Hey." He lifted my chin up to look him in the eyes once again. "This is your decision, and I trust you. Just promise me that you'll be safe."

"I will, I promise." I lightly smiled at him.

"Good. I hope you have a good life. I wish I could come with you, but we both know that I can't. I can't just leave my family behind." He said. I understood. It would be selfish of me to ask him to leave his own life here behind and follow me and the cast. "So since I can't, Levi, take good care of her."

"Will do." Levi said and they shook hands.

"I'm really going to miss you guys." Jake said and exchanged hugs and handshakes with the cast. We stopped and had a moment of silence together.

This is really it... I'm going back with them... with Levi...

"Well, I think it's about time you guys got on your way." Jake said and looked up to the full moon.

"Yeah... guess so..." I replied. I turned to Jake and we exchanged one last, long hug. I sure was going miss him. I reluctantly pulled away and we looked at each other through teary eyes. We both chuckled and he nodded, signaling that it was time for me to go.

I left his side and turned around to take hold of Levi's outstretched hand. I took it and he led me up to the well. I stood there alone, fiddling the coin in my fingers.

I turned to look behind me. Jake was still standing where we had stood, tears in his eyes and on his cheeks, but he had a smile on his face, telling me that it was okay for me to go.

Erwin, Hanji and Mike were a little bit closer to me than Jake was. Erwin and Hanji were holding hands, as I had been able to get them together this past week.

And then there was Levi. He was a couple yards away from me, giving me one of his rare but yet beautiful smiles. He nodded to me. I smiled and nodded back, then turned back to the well. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

I wish to return with the Attack on Titan cast back to their world.

I then dropped the coin down into the well.

That's the last thing I remember before I was taken into the light.