Chapter 7

"RIVER!" I pant heavily, dodging the terrifying monster of death.

The bedroom door busts open, River rushes in, a wild look in his pretty eyes. "What is it?!"

I scream in horror noticing that while I was distracted by River, the horrible creature climbed onto my foot. "GET IT OFF, RIVER! OH GOSH! I'M GOING TO DIE! I! AM! DYING! I REPEAT, I AM NOT GONNA MAKE IT! RIVER! SAVE ME!"

He jogs over, noticing the demon crawling up my bare leg. Carefully picking it up, he tosses it out the window with lightning speed.

Gasping for air, I stare at him, wide-eyed. "I saw my life flash before my eyes," I whisper in horror, trembling from the after effects of nearly dying.

Quietly, he walks towards me, a small smile on his hansom face. "Really?"

"Yes," I say before I gasp in realization. "Oh. My. Heavens to Betsy." I jump into his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck, "You just saved my life! I am forever in your debt! How can I ever repay you?!"

Chuckling deeply, he hesitantly returns my embrace, "You can't. You now belong to me, it's the way it works, you know."

Eternity with him doesn't sound so bad, actually, I think it might be fun. "Very well," I agree in defeat, after all, I do owe him my life.

"Who knew that you'd be afraid of a spider, but a bullet wound excites you? You are a confusing woman," he comments randomly, pulling away from me.

"I know," I mutter absentmindedly, thinking of all the things he might have me do now that he owns me. Maybe he'll make me jump off a cliff, into a pool of blood thirsty hippopotamuses. Or, he'll make me climb a steep cliff while I'm chased by seventeen cannibals, while holding those cool dong things from Mulan that she had to climb that post with.

Or worse...

He makes me lick a wasp's stinger. Holy crap nuggets! Would he do that? Suspiciously I eye him as he looks in deep thought.

Oh crap! He's probably thinking of where he can get a big fat, nasty yellow jacket (it's a type of wasp).

My eyes widen in horror, "Please don't do it! I know that you own me now, but that is just cruel!"

He snaps back to the present, frowning at me in confusion. "Explain," he orders simply, a small smile creeping its way onto his face.

"I mean what did I ever do to you?! I'm innocent...sort of, okay, maybe I'm Satan incarnate. But please! What did I ever do to you personally?! Nothing! Well unless...have I?"

Laughing lightly, he tugs me closer to him, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. "You have done nothing wrong. Please explain to me what is going on in that pretty little head of yours this time."

"You're gonna make me lick a wasp," I whimper, leaning my head against his chest, suddenly exhausted with all the panic.

This pulls another laugh from him, causing me to believe that my assumptions were correct. Before I can protest some more, he speaks up. "You're cute," he sits on the bed and pulls me down beside him. "No, I was not, nor will I ever make you lick a wasp, or a bee for that matter."

"Are you gonna drop me into a giant bowl of savage, flesh-eating piranhas," I ask, still wary of his newfound power over me.

Sweetly, he runs his fingers through my hair, soothing my nerves, "No. I couldn't do that to you. I would not let such beauty be wasted to fish."

Sighing in relief, I feel my eyelids droop, but I force them open again. "Aren't you going to make me bite off my own pinky?"

He gently touches my cheek, slipping his are around my waist. "Never. Now, you need to sleep. You have been awake all night, prank calling innocent citizens. Close your eyes, you're still wounded."

"No," I rub my eyes, feeling strangely emotional. "River, can I call my mom? I miss her."

He stiffens a moment before he starts playing with the ends of my hair.

"Do you remember her number, sweetheart?"

Tiredly, I nod my head against his chest, nuzzling closer. "It's ***-789-0798," I mumble, fisting my hand in his T-shirt.

"Alright, little one," he sighs as he lays down with me, "Tomorrow, you may call her."

"Thank you, River," I whisper, feeling myself drift off.

"Of course, Angel," he mumbles back.