Chapter 13

"There's more to being king than getting your way all the time."

"There's more?"

Mufasa chuckles, turning away, "Simba!"

I giggle, nibbling on my animal cracker happily as I watch The Lion King on my living room couch.

I love this show, all those cute little baby animals-

"You're eating Simba."

Gasping in horror, my head snaps towards my brother who sits beside me with a contented expression. "Hayden!"

He laughs evilly, pointing to the cracker in my fingers, "Look, you just bit his legs off."

Worriedly, I look down at the cracker in my hands, which is, in fact, a lion.

Screaming in horror, I drop the piece of goodness, disliking myself immensely for hurting poor Simba. Tears well in my eyes and my head snaps towards the doorway as River bursts through, looking frantic.

My parents wanted to talk to him alone, so Hayden and I decided to watch a movie while they spoke in the kitchen.

Now his worried eyes land on me and he rushes over. "Angel!"

As soon as he kneels before me, glancing over my body, looking for any damage I might have received in the fifteen minutes he's been gone, I wrap my arms around his neck. "I hurt Simba."

His gaze follows my finger to where a half of Sima lies on the brown carpet. "That's a cracker."

"B -but what if it's like a voodoo doll?! What if I actually bit off Simba's legs?!"

"Who told you this," he asks, holding me to his chest and brushing his fingers soothingly through my hair.

"H -Hayden," I reply shakily, burying my face in his hard chest.

"Hayden!" River sounds mad, addressing my brother who rolls his eyes indifferently.

"Cry baby," he mutters grumpily.

River growls angrily, scooping me up into his strong arms. "You didn't hurt Simba, baby. Hayden's just being a b- meanie."

"Are you sure," I ask, worried, but trusting him.

"Yes. Don't worry about it," he sits on the couch, cradling me in his lap.

Noticing my parents standing in the doorway, I smile at them, no longer concerned. "Hi."

"Hi, honey bunches," Dad smiles slightly, sending a sharp look at River. "Your mother and I have decided to let you continue seeing River."

Squealing excitedly, I bounce on River's lap, who hisses as if in pain. "Yes! River I can still see you! Did you hear?"

River chuckles down at me, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. "Yes, baby, I heard." The releif sparkling in his eyes make me feel releived too.

"Remember our agreement, River," Dad adds threateningly before he and Mom return to the kitchen.

We relax back into the couch and continue watching the movie.

°•°•°•°

"Bye, River," I jump into his arms, hugging him as tight as I can. "Come back soon."

He returns my hug, burying his face in my hair. "Okay, baby. Call me if you need anything."

Earlier, he wrote his phone number on my arm and told me to memorize it.

Smiling, I nod in agreement. "I love you."

He shivers, his voice becoming husky, "I could never get tired of you saying that, Angel."