Chapter 8

RIVER

A knock on the door drags me from my deep sleep. Peeling my eyes open, I glance down at Thia, who squirms around in my arms.

Why am I cuddling her?! How--when--?!

She moans softly, wiggling closer. Subconsciously, she takes my hand and hugs it tightly to her chest. With a soft smile, she settles back down and starts snoring gently.

The door opens, making me snap my attention to the little b*stard standing in my doorway.

Davion.

And he's drunk.

Quickly, as if on instinct, I pull her closer and cover her with the duvet. "What," I hiss quietly, a savage wave of protective anger overwhelming me.

What's wrong with me?!

"Aww, your little slut is giving your dick a good fucking. I want in. Move over," he walks towards the bed, rubbing himself with a retarded smirk on his f**king face.

"Get out," I growl warningly, beyond angry by how he was speaking of the innocent little woman.

"You aren't the boss of me," he huffs, slowing his approach.

"Go away," mumbles Thia, snuggling closer to my chest.

"No," he snarls, walking closer as he glares at her under the blanket.

"I. Will. Kill. You," I growl, leaning over her protectively.

Giggling, the girl pulls my hand from her chest to her face and suddenly, my thumb is inside her hot, wet mouth, "silly."

Sh*t! F**k! What is she doing?! Ah sh*t! That feels so d*mn good!

My pants grow tight and I try to gently pull my hand away.

However, she isn't having any of it, despite her state of slumber. With a little grunt, she holds my hand tightly and sucks hard on my thumb.

I'm caught between wanting to slaughter him and f**k her.

In the end, the urge to protect her wins out. Oddly enough.

Hands trembling, I pull my thumb from her mouth, it makes a popping noise as it leaves her lips.

"No, no, no," she mumbles, frowning slightly in her sleep. She's starting to wake up.

She can't see this.

Before her eyes open all the way, I gently sooth her. "Shh, go back to sleep. I'm just gonna leave for a second, I'll be right back. Just go back to sleep." Surprising myself, I kiss her soft cheek and smooth her hair back.

And that is when Davion decides he needs to join us.

Stumbling over to the edge of the bed, he stares at the visible top of her head longingly. "I want her. River, I want a girl like that. I want what you have. Give her to me!"

Too loud.

F**k him.

Before she can wake up all the way, I unentangle myself from her and jump over her. I grab him and drag him out of the room, quietly shutting the door behind me.

Turning to fully face him, I snarl angrily and lunge. When he wakes up in the morning, hungover, he will feel my wrath as well.

Eventually, after multiple hard punches, I leave him unconscious on the floor. I go to the bathroom and wash my hands before returning to bed.

Seeing the tiny bump in the bed where her limp body lays, I smile softly. I can't even think about her leaving without becoming uneasy. It's only been three weeks since she first arrived, but I've managed to become attached.

And she wants to call her mother so she can go home.

She wants to leave me.

Of course she wants to leave me! She isn't mine. Frankly, I think she should leave. Maybe then, I'll be able to get a hold of myself.

But until she does leave, what's the harm in savoring this odd feeling?

Quickly, I climb in bed next to her and pull her close, something similar to relief filling me as my hands land on her little body. Pulling back the blanket a little to see her face better, I swallow thickly.

One of her rosy cheeks that look so tantalizingly soft, presses against the pillow. Her long dark lashes fan out across her cheek bones. Her inky black hair is spread across the pillow in silky waves. Her full pink lips are pursed adorably and her big dimples are faintly visible.

"You are so beautiful," I whisper shakily, cupping her cheek.

"Nom. Nom. Nom," she mumbles against my hand, pulling my thumb into her mouth again. She moans in her sleep, hugging my arm to her chest like a teddy bear.

So f**king adorable.

°°°

"River!" An angelic melody of giggles wrap around me like a blanket.

The little angel flops on top of my abdomen, her whole body shaking with her childlike laughter. "River, wake up."

Moaning tiredly, I pull her up into my arms. "No."

She squirms in my grasp, laughing harder. "River! I wanna call my mom!"

This thought shatters the peace of the morning. Immediately, I tense up and open my eyes.

"Do you really?"

She nods against my chest, "Yup. She'll be really worried. I've been gone three whole weeks!"

Not nearly long enough.

No, it's plenty long enough. She has to go.

Sighing heavily, I peel my eyes open and stare down at the grinning girl.

Her hair is pulled up in a high pony tail, and she has changed out of my clothes and into hers that she has washed. Her blue eyes are sparkling adorably.

"You want to go home?"

"Yes," she says slowly, her smile fading as she falls deep in thought. "I'm gonna come back, though. You'll come find me, right?"

Clenching my jaw, I tear my gaze from her beautiful hopeful stare. "I shouldn't, angel. Parents have never liked me much."

"She will," she argues emphatically, putting her hand on my chest.

"No, baby. She won't, I've been keeping you in my house while she's undoubtedly been searching everywhere for you. She'll hate me." I mutter, avoiding all eye contact.

In all truth, thoughts of keeping her here longer have been plaguing my mind for the past few days. I know it's stupid, but she's just so addictive.

"I wouldn't hate you," her words catch me by surprise, making me look up at the sincerity in solemn face. "I love you."

And my heart stops beating.