Chapter 26

Guys! It was brought to my attention by @ixzati that HSAM now ranks #9 in Humor!

Thank you, my people! This is so flurping exciting!

THIA

Behind us, the sound of heavy footsteps followed, nearing us rapidly.

Immediately, we looked at each other, terrified. However, we manageed to restrain ourselves from glancing back.

Quietly, Hayden mouthed for me to run, his brown eyes full of fear.

With a furiously pounding heart, I nodded, thinking that he would follow. But he didn't.

If only he had.

Instead of staying with me, he turned back to stall the man following us. We were used to creeps lurking around, we lived in the bad part of town. But we had never had to actually fight them.

Not until that night.

Scared out of my mind, I sprinted ahead, my old sneakers pounding against the sidewalk lightly.

After a few moments, I slow down, not hearing anything behind me. Confused, I turn, panicking when I don't see my brother anywhere.

"Hayden?!" Where was he?

Later, I learned that he was being amazingly brave, trying to protect his little sister. But, unfortunately, the creep wasn't alone.

They'd been planning their attack for some time. They knew that he'd stay behind.

Suddenly, a filthy hand covered my mouth and the awful stench of the pervert behind me brought tears to my eyes.

Desperation filled me, urging me to fight back. Which resulted in my biting him.

But he never stopped, he just ignored me, dragging me into a dark, secluded alley. "Hush now."

No! Inwardly, I screamed, Leave me alone!

But he just turned me to face him, his yellow eyes gleaming with malice.

I knew what his intentions were in that moment.•

Blinking against River's shoulder, I try to ignore the painful, incomplete memory that keeps flashing behind my closed eyelids. It has me terrified, but I can't figure out why.

Suddenly, the memory flickers.

Sun filters through the large windows, lighting up the entire room.

In my heart, I know something's missing, something that has been missing for so long. My family; I miss them dreadfully. How can I do this without them?

I'm afraid. •

The memory fades as soon as it appeared. Thinking hard, I find myself unable to call it back.

Frustrated, I pull my face out of River's shoulder. "Ugh!"

Clearly taken off guard, River glances down at me with a concerned, angry, and shocked expression all mixed into one. "Don't worry, baby, I'm taking you home. We're almost to the car."

Disoriented, I look around and see that we're in the hospital parking lot, almost to our car. The cool night wind brushes through my hair and across my sweaty skin. How did I not realize that we were outside?

With a sigh, I return my gaze to River's worried face. "You know, I'm kinda hungry."

He blinks.