Chapter 24

THIA

"No," I gasp, slapping my hands on his cheeks, "Don't take me there!"

I hate hospitals with the fury of a thousand suns. Now, I'm not exactly sure why, but there's something about the smell...

Driving through the darkness, River cranes his neck to see around my head, "Why not?"

"Because they'll kill me," I gasp, shaking his shoulders, trying to make him turn around.

His face hardens and he scowls at me, "Don't talk like that! They help people, not hurt them!"

Frantically, I look around the dark car, looking for some sort of excuse. After a few seconds I just go with, "I had a dog once, they killed him!"

It isn't completely true. It was Hayden's dog, but they did kill it!

Softening his scowl, he sighs and glances into my eyes before looking back to the road, "Animals aren't people. It's different. The dog was probably sick and they were putting it out of its misery. It's called mercy."

"How would you know?!" Frankly, I'm taking myself by surprise right now with my words. "You don't know if it's better for them to die! You can't make that decision! Just because they can't speak up for themselves!"

"Thee," he sighs, entering a more lively part of town, "Spontaneous migraines can't be a good sign for anything. I have to make sure you're alright."

How is his voice so warm? I felt like cold butter and his voice is like a microwave.

Only warmer.

Like the sun?

I like the sun.

Wait, I was about to say something. What was it again?

I'm drawing a blank.

Pouting, I think hard, trying to remember what was on my train of thought before I lost it. "What... what was I saying...?"

With a small grin lifting his lips, he grabs the back of my head and stuffs my face into the crook of his neck. "It's a good thing you're cute, because you're not the brightest crayon in the box."

What? Did he just...

"I'm not stupid!" I put my hands on his chest and try to push myself up to glare at him, but he pins me to him.

His chest rumbles as he chuckles, "Stop! I'm just kidding! You're the brightest little crayon I've ever seen! But please keep your head down, little crayon, I need to see the road."

"Oh," I blush slightly and cuddle closer to him, "Sorry. Should I go sit in the passenger seat?"

He hesitates, tightening his arm around me, before sighing and releasing me. "Yes, you probably should. Put your seatbelt on."

Quickly, I crawl back into my seat and strap myself in.

For several moments, we go in silence, me watching out the window into the darkness, and him focusing on the road.

The hospital!

That's what I was yelling about! Finally remembering, I turn and glare at him. "Just because your voice is sunny doesn't mean you can take me to the doctor's!"

Chuckling, he pulls into the hospital parking lot, completely undermining my authority.

The nerve.

"I'm serious! River, if you force me to go into that building, I will pinch your stomach!"

He better not mess with me! When I'm mad, I'm a porcupine!