Chapter 11

THIA

I wake up to a phone ringing.

"F**k," I hear River hiss angrily, reaching over me. "Hello," he snaps quietly, answering it grumpily.

Slowly, I open my eyes to see him scowling at nothing in particular as he listens to whoever's on the other end. He looks so handsome.

"No," he growls, glancing down at me and his eyes soften when he sees that I'm awake. "I have to go." With that, he hangs up and drops the phone off the side of the bed. "Morning, angel," he murmurs gently, pressing a soft kiss to my forehead. 

"Morning," I say. Well, that's what I try to say, but only a squeak comes out. Blushing embarrassedly, I clear my throat and this time my voice works, "Morning, River."

He chuckles and cups my cheek in his calloused hand, his hazel eyes sparkling with warmth. "You're so adorable," he breathes, kissing my other cheek gently.

I giggle and lift my arms to hug him. But before I can, a sharp pain shoots through my shoulder and down my side, making me whimper and drop my arm. That is when I remember what happened before I went to sleep. I was shot...again.

"Shh," he soothes me gently, agony filling his eyes, "I'm sorry, baby. This is all my fault."

"No, it isn't," I scowl in confusion, wondering where he got that idea. "It was those men."

His expression bleak, he bows his head in shame, "But I should have been protecting you."

"But you did," I huff, becoming frustrated with how he thinks so low of himself. "You saved me, again!"

Burying his face in the crook of my neck, he inhales deeply, his whole body trembling. "Why can't you just f**king hate me?! That would make this so much easier!"

"Stop saying that word wrong," I exclaim, frowning at where this conversation is going. What can I say? I'm in a bad mood.

"I'm sorry, little one," he sighs, pulling away, a broken look on his face.

"Why are you sad," I ask him, starting to get worried. Oh my gosh! Did he get shot too?!

"I am going to miss you so much when you go home," he admits glumly, his gorgeous hazel eyes filled with grief.

My panic increases, just the thought that he's hurt has me freaking out. Add that to the fact that he acts like we won't see each other again, I'm completely blitzing.

"River! Heavens to Betsy! Don't die," I cry with wide eyes, I place my hands on his pokey cheeks. "Please! I love you, you can't die!"

He blinks his pretty eyes at me, amusement sparkling clearly there, "Angel?"

Tears fill my eyes and I shake my head passionately. "Make Caleb fix you," I sob, squeezing my eyes shut, "You're my favorite!"

"Angel."

What would I do without him?! I love him a lot, more than anyone else. "Don't leave me," I wail, burying my face in his chest.

He freezes before he wraps his big, strong arms around my carefully. "I'm not gonna leave you, baby. And I'm not dying."

Halting my meltdown, I peek up at his face through my wet lashes. "You're not?"

"No, you're stuck with me," he smirks down at me, wiping a stray tear from my cheek.

"Forever," I ask hopefully, my stress washing away immediately.

"Forever." He tucks my head under his chin and brushes his fingers through my hair. "Don't you think it's about time you go home?"