XLI

it took me 4 hours to write this chapter.

-

"We can finally wear traditional Edo-period clothes!" I clung to the robes I wore and twirled in a circle. 

"It's weird, hearing him speak with Tosa dialect." Haruhi groaned, speaking of Tamaki's attempt at speaking like an Edo period samurai, "still, I didn't know that late-Edo era cosplay was this popular." She fiddled with the blue robes. 

I adjusted my little bun and the thick flat ribbon that dangled, the little bells jingling. 

"What are you talking about?" Hikaru began, just as I readjusted myself onto the windowsill seat, chilly air piercing my back. The little bells jingled softly and I softly sighed, "that's one of the basics of the basics."

"There are more girls that like the late Edo era than you can imagine. Especially the Shinsengumi," Kaoru continued.

"And~" Haninozuka cut in with a wide grin, "in any case, among those that like it, there are lots of real maniacs." Kasanoda, I thought dryly.

Renge's voice echoed in the room as she appeared and I held in an annoyed groan. "Perhaps the reason for their popularity was their gallantry in giving their young lives for the sake of the country. In their single-mindedness to live the Bushido code, and in the stoic way in which they comported themselves." 

I take back Kasanoda as being the maniac. The real Edo-period maniac is her.

"Or perhaps."

Oh fuck it's a gay scene coming on, I stared at the twins just in time to see Kaoru to fall, Hikaru quick to grab his wrist and pull him close. When the hell are they ever going to get real girlfriends instead of partaking in illegal activities?

"Don't you die," Hikaru muttered softly. 

"I'm done for." 

I rolled my eyes and settled on my windowsill, sliding a real sword out of my sheath. The metal glinted in the sunlight and I ran the sharpened point down the other side of the windowsill. 

"They detect the scent of something forbidden, coming from this gymnazein group of young men." Renge slammed her fist on the table next to her and pulled out a presentation. "The Ikeda-ya inn may indeed be generally well-known, but for me, imagining the back of Hijikata-san, facing the northern lands, following the battle at Toba-Fushimi, sorrowfully wandering, trying to defend the Shinsengumi by himself, I could eat three whole bowls of rice!"

What is her problem? I swung the sword out and cleanly sliced the stems of three black roses, the buds falling onto the black table top beside me. The Shishi-odoshi clacked on the rocks in the small water garden made in the centre of the room, the sounds of running water soothing me as the sound of the customers burned out as white noise in my head.

"Aki." The warmth of a large hand ran it's way behind my neck and I slowly opened my eyes. Takashi stood with a traditional Japanese teacup and he pushed it against my lips. "Drink."

The warm liquid ran against my lips and I sipped, the green tea making me wince at the taste. I'm not a huge fan of any other tea aside from English breakfast.

"Mori-kun has to be Shimada Kai, huh?" One girl peered from around the couch with heart eyes. 

"Eh? Yamazaki-san would be better." Another girl appeared.

"My dark horse choice would be Soma-san." A third fantasized. 

Something's not right here. I eyed the area once again and felt a presence that shouldn't have been here. In a flash, Takashi pulled out his sword and manoeuvred his body along with its movements. In pure alarm, I blocked every move he made with it, the girls watching on with squeals while the rest of the host club watched on in awe.