The Juke Jam

"WE'VE GOT SO MUCH HISTORY BABY..........." was the last thing I heard on my headphones, when I felt dad's hand smack across my face.  "GET THE FUCK UP YOU LAZY ASS! YOU HAVE TO GO PICK UP YOUR BROTHER" He hits me so hard I fell to the floor and he kicked me. I've been going through this since my brother Jose ( but i call him Memo) was born. " HURRY UP YOU BITCH OR YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE".  I get off the floor and quickly walk through the door without looking him in the eye. As I walk out of the door i see the same old shit. I live in what others may call " the hood" but I call it home.  I walk down the street and see my brother's elementary school. I see all the parents waiting patiently for their kids to get out of class. The bell rings and here comes running out at least 300 kids. I spotted out my memo quickly. He runs up to me and gives me the biggest hug. "How was school my little monkey?" i ask him with the best fake smile i could give him. I think he can tell because he puts his small little hand on my face and says " He loves you it's just the juice talking in his brain right?" I swear I was holding back tears, for being only 5 he's way too smart for his age "Yeah baby, it's just the juice talking." I say as I grab his hand  and backpack.  We start walking down the street and as my baby is talking about his day at school, I see him....... Damian. He's standing there with his friends and a girl on his hip. I think his friend noticed me staring because he whispered something in Damian's ear. He looks over and smiles his evil grin that gives me chills.  " Hey riah!" he yelled from across the street "You're looking good mami where have you been?"  I try to ignore him but he pushes his soon to be one night stand off his arm and runs towards me. I attempt to walk faster with Jose but he's too fast. " Hey girl, where you going?" he says smoothly.  " I'm going home to help my brother with homework then going to work, I don't have time to talk damian."    " Last I checked you used to call me baby" he says grabbing my arm.  "Let go of me damian." I say trying to be as tough as possible. He pulls me close and whispers in my ear " I'll never forget that special night we had."  I feel the chills down my spine, my eyes start to water without thinking I felt my hand against his hard cheek. " I.....I'm....." I start to say. He grabs my neck and picks me up a few inches off the ground. He looks at me up and down with evil in his eyes. He looks over at my brother who is crying his eyes out.  " Next time babygirl.... you're mine never forget that." with that said he puts me down and I run as fast as I could with memo in tote all the way home.  I take memo to the bathroom and wash his face. " I'm so sorry baby, he's just a meanie we'll never see again." I wipe his face and I see that smile I can't get enough of. " It's okay ya-ya I won't tell daddy." As soon as he said that I heard his foot steps come through the door " I'M HOME ! MARIAH WHERE ARE YOU?!" I walk out of the bathroom and Jose runs to dad. " DADDY!! " he yells . Dad kneels down and grabs my brother and kisses him then picks up in the air. " Hi my little man." he says with love in his eyes. I remember when dad used to do that to me. Dad notices me looking and yells. " Go start dinner you worthless piece of shit." I snap out of my daydream and look at him " yes dad" I say softly. As I'm walking I hear dad say something to memo " your mom would be so disappointed in her." I gasp and think to myself  " You're so wrong, she left because of your issues and your drinking" As I'm cooking the steak I think about the life I would've had if I've gone with her that night, how everything and everyone changed that night.