15

What does she mean? what's gonna happen?

I take memo to my room as instructed after we were done eating. I put on some bear in the big blue house and turn up the volume just in case. I pack a bag for me and my brother and lean my head against my door when all I heard was yelling. " SHE'S NOT A PUNCHING BAG VICTOR, YOU CAN'T PUSH HER AROUND LIKE A DOLL ALL HER LIFE!" I hear my dad retaliate " She's not your problem she's mine, I will treat my kids the way I damn will please, you just worry about your crack head whore of a daughter." That's when I heard it.... the loud boom coming from the living room. I fell back to the floor and started crying. Memo looked up at me with worried eyes. I smiled to assure him nothing is wrong. I heard tumbling and rustling like they were wrestling.  CRASH! glass shattered. I grab Memo's hand I start to climb out my window.  I don't know where we're headed but I sure as hell ain't staying here. And I'm not leaving my little brother behind. I start walking towards the school its getting dark so I need to think quick. It's already 7:35 so I take out my phone and dial the last number I called.

ring..............ring.................ring................. 

"Hello?" a raspy voice answered 

"Diego?, it's me I need your help it's an emergency."

" Where are you?" he asked quickly

"I'm at D.J Meyer school." I said holding back tears.

"Stay there, I'm on my way."

"Ok" 

30 minutes past and I'm holding a sleeping memo in my arms and starting to get really cold. I start to doze off myself when I see a car pull up so fucking fast I didn't think it was going to stop. " What happened are you hurt?" Diego asked grabbing memo and holding my face in his hands at the same time. "No I'm fine, we're fine thanks for coming to save us." I say. He looks at me with apologetic eyes and says " Sorry I took so long, I was stuck in dummy ass long traffic", so what happened?" he puts memo in the car and I notice he has a booster seat. "Don't ask. " he says with a smile. I laugh lightly and get in the car. Once I get in i notice how warm it is and fall asleep. What seems like hours pass and i feel my body being picked up and carried. I immediatley start crying and squirming. But then i hear a voice " Shhh.... i got you you're okay." I smile knowing it was diego, and immediately fall back to sleep. 

I wake up the next morning and realize memo is no where to be seen. I jump out of bed and run through the house and start yelling his name. I hear his laughter and I run faster. I soon see him running around laughing so hard he's red. I then see diego running around on all fours yelling "Run lil, man ima get you!" it was honestly the most adorable thing I ever saw. Diego notices me and walks up to me and gives me a quick hug. "Sorry i didnt wanna wake you and lil man here got hungry so we went to mickey d's, you hungry?" I smile " Nah, i'm fine thanks for taking care of him." he runs up to Memo and picks him up like he's known him his whole life. " No problem this is the coolest kid ever he's my best friend huh bubba?" Memo grabs onto his neck and says "yeah bubby!" he laughs. i sit on the couch and turn on the T.V. I flip through the channels and i hear diego say " stay off my special channels" "gross " i thought. I flip through a few more channels when i see it in big bold letters on the screen says  WOMAN'S BODY FOUND IN SAN JOSE HOME NO ID. I listen and hear the news lady say "We are here at a San Jose home where a woman was found dead by a gunshot wound, we believe it was a domestic dispute no suspects are aprehended, we will keep you updated."

No, he got away. He's looking for us........for me. I'm done for.