Chapter 56

Harry's POV

A sting in my heart was suddenly felt when the music that I was listening to through my earphones suddenly changes to Frank Sinatra. My mind quickly flashes back to the time when I took Bailee out to dinner and his voice engulfed us at the restaurant while we ate. Immediately, I grab my phone and switch to the next song before continuing to sketch on the piece of paper in front of me.My brows furrow in determination as I slouch over my desk in my childhood home, trying to not focus on anything that has to do with Bailee.

I should have known she would have done something to hurt herself. I failed in keeping her from spiraling down. The place where I have failed Bailee at the most is when I left, instead of sticking by her. I ran from her. I literary ran from her at the hospital when I should have just stayed and supported her. I have avoided messaging and calling her for that same soul purpose. The guilt of not having communication with her the past few days is literally killing me. I want to hear her honey voice,I want nothing more than to have her in my arms and be skin to skin with her. I want to look into her beautiful brown eyes and see my world in them as she makes every beat of my heart her own. Now, sure that the world is messing around with me, my phone begins to vibrate on my desk as her name lights up the screen. Quickly, I press ignore and let it go straight to voicemail.

I shake my head  while removing my earphones and frustratingly tossing them on my desk over my drawing before resting my elbows on the polished wood; covering my face with my hands while letting out a heavy breath.

"Harry, what are you doing?" My father's voice speaks. I lift my head out of my hands and turn a little in my desk chair, seeing my dad standing by my door.

My father was dressed in one of his usual pressed down office suits, but right now he was missing his suit jacket. The sleeves of his white work shirt were rolled up to his elbows, his tie is missing from around his neck and the top buttons are undone. It's still early in the afternoon so he must be home from lunch.

"What do you mean?" I ask, watching him as he uncrosses his arms while leaning off the side of the door frame before stepping into my room.

"I mean why are you avoiding Bailee's calls? Better yet, why are here and not with her in Portland?" He questions, coming to stand a few paces away from me, his hands shoved into his dress pants pockets.

I shrug. "I think it's better that I'm not."

"Why?"

"All I do is hurt her." I mutter and my dad's brows furrow over his eyes in confusion.

"I have been on and off with her. I should have been able to see that she was going to hurt herself. I should have stopped her from hurting herself." I begin to list out while gesturing with my hands as I spoke. "I should have stayed at the hospital for when she woke up but instead I ran out."

"I keep failing her dad, how am i suppose to face her? She deserves someone better anyways." I add, looking down at my hands between my parted legs, my elbows resting on my knees.

"Harry, listen to me." My dad sighs, sitting on the end of my bed. I look up, and his eyes lock with my own.

"We all make mistakes. You left the hospital because it was too much for you to take in on one moment and that's okay. But if you really like her, you can't keep avoiding her." he frowns shaking his head and my mind drifts off a little as I try to think back on the last time that we have had a heart to heart like this. I guess Bailee has helped me in more ways then one.

"You do like Bailee right?"

I nod. "Of course but-"

"Does she know you care?"