Chapter 12

Everyone was sat in the hospital; the gang and Skye's parents who were getting a sense of de ja vu. Her father tried to help her mother calm despite wanting to join her sobbing. The others were holding up ok. Well, all but Chase who was pacing back and forth in front of his friends.

"I can't believe this." He muttered.

"Chase please calm down." Rocky tried to reassure him but he needed his own reassurance in the shape of Zuma holding his hand tightly.

"Shut up Rocky!" Chase whisper shouted.

"What? Chase what's gotten into you?" Marshall asked.

Chase turned his attention to Rocky again. "It's your fault that she's here!"

"Huh?"

"Why didn't you tell me that she wasn't eating? We could've helped her! Christ - you're practically her brother why didn't you tell her to snap out of it?"

"It's not as simple as snapping out of it you moron! It's like an addiction for her. An addiction of wanting to be thin because others shoot her down all the time! Something like that doesn't take harsh words Chase it takes support from people. You can't just snap out of it! When Zuma found out about my alcohol problem did he 'snap me out of it'? No! He helped me through it slowly. Besides even if I did tell you she'd never speak to me again!" The grey haired boy was on the verge of tears. "You think I don't blame myself already?!"

"Well thanks to you she's never going to speak to any of us again!" There was a catch in Chase's throat.

"You don't know that!" Marshall said, resisting the temptation to slap his best friend. Rocky began to cry and Zuma pulled him into his chest, gently rocking him like a child in an attempt to calm him down. He rested his chin on Rocky's head and glared at Chase in an 'Are you happy now' manner.

"Chase." Everest began calmly.
"Skye is going to be ok. She's in the best possible hands. This is no ones fault. Even if Rocky had told us and we had tried to help her, she would probably have still done this to herself."

"But it's not that simple. The doctors still say there's a fifty-fifty chance of her waking up."

"You just have to hold out for her ok?"

"But you guys. Can you imagine your life without Marshall or vise versa? Zuma, you without Rocky. That's what my life will be like without her here." Chase hung his head and stared at the floor. "I don't want to think about it but there's that half chance of it happening."

The others were silent. What could they possibly say or do to make this better? Once again, Chase was potentially watching one of the people he loves most, lose their life again and it was destroying him.

They too didn't want to imagine their lives without Skye but as Chase had said, there was only a half chance of her survival.

Before anyone could say anything more, the doctor came out of the room Skye was in. Everyone stood up and looked at him expectantly.

"Her condition has been stabilised but again there is unfortunately that chance she won't recover. However what might help is someone talking to her. It has worked before in cases like this where the patient is unconscious but still has the ability to hear." He explained. The group of friends and family all looked at Chase.

They all knew, even if he hadn't told them all, about his feelings for Skye and felt that he should be the one to talk to her.

Chase looked around and when he looked at her parents they just nodded. He bit his lip, he knew what he wanted to say but could he?