Chapter 35

Everest stared at her trembling hands. She was sat on her bed waiting for Marshall to arrive. He was due to be there half an hour ago but she hadn't received a text to say he'd be late. It wasn't unusual for this to happen but the fact he hadn't let her know worried the auburn haired girl.

Her phone pinged again. For the last ten minutes she had received multiple messages from an unknown number. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she looked at the screen.

Ev was physically exhausted as she had just finished netball training. As the team captain she had to go and help her team, who hate her, shape up. She was also mentally exhausted from reading the messages. She now held her phone in her shaking hand. Her eyes scanned the constant messages.

You shouldn't even be on the team, let alone captain.

That's where it started. Now things were getting much more personal.

Marshall doesn't even like you. He doesn't want you. No one does.

'No Ev they're wrong he does love you.' She told herself. She typed a simple response; a request to be left alone. Moments later she got another message.

We both know I'm right. Where is your boyfriend now if he loves you so much?

She ignored it and put her phone down but yet another text alert sounded. She looked even though she knew she should've ignored it.

Just do the world a favour and kill yourself Everest.

There was a smash as the girl's phone collided with the wall, the screen shattering all over her floor. She sat back down and covered her face with her hands. Her eyes, once her hands fell, glanced over to her dresser.

She walked over and opened the small drawer that contained anything she needed for sports injuries. This included two boxes of neurofen. More than enough to do as her bullies wished. She hesitantly picked up a box and walked back to where she was before, back turned to the door. She breathed deeply, a shaky breath at that.

'Maybe they're right... maybe he doesn't want me, maybe no one does. Perhaps it would be best.'

"Marshy...I'm sorry I'm not good enough." She cried quietly. Just as she was about to swallow the first of many pills, the door burst open and Marshall appeared and quickly surveyed the scene. He knocked the pills from his girlfriend's hand. He pulled her close and held her tightly.

She cried into his chest as the reality of how close she came to ending her life hit her. She cried harder, soaking the soft material of Marshall's red hoodie. He stroked her hair and rested his chin on top of her head.

"Shhh. It's ok Ev. Marshy's here." He soothed, closing his eyes and thanking himself for continuing to run even though he was tired on the way to his girlfriend's house.

His arms supported her as she wrapped her arms and legs around Marshall's torso. She cried into the crook of his neck for what felt like hours.

He set her down on her bed and knelt in front of her, holding her hands and rubbing them. He didn't speak, just waited for her.

"I'm s-sorry." She hiccuped.

"What for? This wasn't your fault."

"I just...I just feel like I'm not good enough."

"I'll say to you what you said to me. You, are more than good enough for me and I don't know why you can't see that." He smiled weakly. "You're stuck with me and my awful jokes forever Ev."

Everest laughed slightly and returned the smile as the black haired boy wiped her tears and kissed her lips gently.

"I love you Marshy." She sniffed. Marshall smiled and reached up to stroke her cheek.

"I love you too Evvy. Forever and always."