Chapter Thirty | Breaks My Heart

When I think of what I've done
All the pain that I brung
Baby, you should have walked out on me
And when I turned away from you
Whenever there were hard times
How could you still be with me?
And it's no mistake when I hurt you that day
And went out with somebody new
But still you forgive me like it was so easy
I should have been better to you
Baby, it breaks my heart
To think that loving me is not easy to do
And I don't mean to make it hard
Sorry for all the changes I put you through
And it's hard to believe after everything
That you're still here right beside me
Wouldn't trade you for this whole world

~~~~

B R I A N N A

"Ms. Simmons how are you feeling?" Dr. Smith spoke sympathetically as he walked all the way into the room and took a seat.

"I'm alright. Just ready to know what's going on with my baby."

He nodded. "Understandable. I'm here to clear everything up with you. But first let me go over a few things with you. This isn't your first miscarriage correct?"

"Yes. I had a stillborn miscarriage last year."

"So as of now I believe you might have a very common issue that we in the medical world call Immunologic Disorder."

"What does that mean exactly?" August spoke softly as he wrapped a comforting arm around Bri.

"Think of it like this, when you consider that a woman's body views sperm as a foreign object, it's a wonder that pregnancy happens at all," Sighing he nodded. "But most of the time, a fertilized egg sends a message to the mother that says 'don't treat me like a germ,' and pregnancy proceeds without incident. In some cases, though, the embryo isn't accepted by the woman's body. Antiphospholipid antibodies, antibodies that attack one's own tissue, including embryos. This type of disorder accounts for many miscarriages that physicians used to think were unexplainable,"

"Well what can I do?" Brianna questioned not knowing what else to say.

"No what can we do?" August spoke up.

"There hasn't been much research done in this area yet, While the treatments are still considered experimental, there has been success treating women with aspirin, heparin and certain steroids. But since you have had a successful pregnancy before I don't think you'll need any treatment. Just try to stay stress free, take your vitamins and relax. Pregnancy is a beautiful thing. Just be sure to take better care of yourself.

"So what about the baby?"

"Good news or bad news first?"

"Bad." Both August and Brianna spoke at the same time.

"The bad news is you did lose a child."

"So what's the good news."

"Your still pregnant. You were having twins. Your regular doctor must hadn't informed you. Chances are one was blocking the other. Either way one didn't make it. But your still blessed, now just with one child instead of two."