VII

I was rummaging through my closet, searching for a nice outfit to wear to Sophie's birthday party but couldn't find anything cute enough. I also didn't know what to do with my hair and I sighed, wishing that my mother was here to help me - she always had a talent when it came to styling hair. But I hadn't seen her since the incident at the store, that happened Wednesday and it was already Saturday. None of us had heard of her and it saddened me that no one was searching for her either. She just disappeared and it seemed that everyone thought it was for the best. Maybe it was but I didn't want to admit it out loud.

Someone knocked on the door and I didn't even bother to sit up from where I was splayed out on the carpet of my bedroom.

"Come in." My voice was muffled as my face was buried under a sundress I wasn't allowed to wear because Jordan said it showed too much skin.

"Hey, Jade ... Uhm, what are you doing on the floor?"

Penny?

I threw the dress away and sat up. "Hey," I breathed, confused as to why she was in my room. "What are you doing here?"

She was looking around my room with interest until her eyes settled on the mirror hanging above my dresser. She inspected her reflection and adjusted her hair. "Your brothers told me you were getting ready for a birthday party." She looked down at me, "You don't look ready."

I dropped myself back on the floor and blew out a raspberry. "Can't find anything to wear."

"Need help?"

I peeked at her out of the corner of my eyes in suspicion. What exactly is her motive here?

Penelope sighed and walked over to my closet, sifting through my clothes. "Hey, this looks cute." She picked out a burgundy skirt.

"Too short. Too revealing. Too cold," I mumbled as I slung my arm over my eyes.

"You can wear tights underneath. You got black ones?"

"Check the second drawer."

I heard her shuffle around, opening and closing drawers. She was humming a song under her breath as she combined the skirt with different tops, holding them up against her own body to check in the mirror until she found the perfect match. "Check this out. Whatcha think, huh?"

I peeked at her from beneath my arm and looked at the outfit. I had to admit, it was cute and very fitting for a birthday party.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" She grabbed my hands and pulled me up to my feet. "Go put it on."

"Did Tristan put you up to this?" I couldn't help but ask as I got dressed. "'Cause you didn't have to help."

She perched herself on my bed, admiring her perfectly manicured nails as she crossed her long legs. "It's not Tristan, I mean not really."