XXXIII

My neck hurt as I stared up at the colossal double doors. It was the second time I had been standing at this exact spot and it felt as nerve wrecking as before. My stomach was twisted in knots, I constantly had to take gulps of air through my mouth to remind myself I needed to breathe. My fingertips were freezing as they brushed my arms, sending goosebumps along my skin.

I risked a look at Noah, surprised at how collected and calm he seemed. He glanced at me and gave me a reassuring half-smile - it didn't make me feel any better.

"Are you sure about this?" I lost count how many times I had asked him.

"Jade, doesn't matter. We're here now."

"We can still go back. Noah, it's not too late. Let's go." My feet twitched, ready to turn around and get the hell out of dodge.

He eyed me curiously. "You don't wanna know what happened? You don't wanna know why he left? This is our only shot to finally fill in the blanks, Jade."

"I know - I know, it's just ..." My eyes flickered between him and the giant front door, doubt gnawing at me.

He ran his hand down my arm and linked his fingers through mine, giving it an encouraging squeeze. "It's time. No turning back now."

I moved my tongue around my mouth, swallowing thickly. He nodded expectantly and I found myself nodding back. Let's do this.

The door opened and my clammy hand tightened around his.

A short, plump woman appeared in front of us. She had honey brown eyes that smiled and full, rosy cheeks that matched her pink headband. She was dressed in white from head to toe, the nametag embroidered in her apron told us her name was Rosie - how fitting.

"Good morning!" I couldn't tell what kinda accent she had but whatever it was, it sounded so cheery but did nothing to affect my nervous state. "How can I help?"

My tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth so I let my brother do the talking.

"Uhm hi, good morning. My name's Noah, this is my little sister Jade. We-we're looking for Adrien, Adrien Jacobs."

"Oh Mr. Jacobs! Yes, yes, yes."

"Is he around? He should be expecting us, I texted him a few hours ago."

"Yes, yes, he's here, yes." Her smile never left her kind face.

Noah arched a single eyebrow. "Can we talk to him?"

"Oh yes, of course, yes," she nodded, still standing in the doorway.

"Okay ..." Noah and I exchanged a quick look before he spoke again. "So can we come in?"

Her smile grew. "Yes, yes, please come in."

"Thank you," I managed to say as she let us in.

I looked around, trying to not to get overwhelmed by the impossibly high ceilings and the shiny, marble floor. Artistic paintings covered the blank walls - one of them was some kind of a portrait of a pretty woman and the longer I stared the more it felt like she was staring right back at me. I blinked, looking away.