XIX

I stared at the clock hanging on the wall, watching every second slowly tick away. I was vaguely aware of Mr. Parker talking about some assignment and I couldn't bring myself to pay attention until I felt someone nudge my foot. I picked my head up from the desk and glanced at Lauren. She motioned for me to listen with a tilt of her head.

Alright then.

Have you ever met anyone that smelled like old people even though the person itself wasn't old by any means? Yeah that was Mr. Parker. I swear that man was born in the wrong body, he acts like he's from the 19th century, I mean for god sakes he even talks like some ancient professor.

"In view of the fact that the last group project turned into a grand calamity - I took it upon myself to select your partner for the next task."

Everyone in the class started groaning.

Mr. Parker adjusted the corner of his glasses with a finger before slicing his hand through the air as if to shut us all up. "This is not up for debate. As result of the previous assignment, you have shown me that you are incapable of operating in a group. Therefore, I have decided that you'll be working in pairs."

Cue more groaning.

Mr. Parker cleared his throat as he started listing off the pairs. "Kylie Martin and Tommy Johns."

I caught Kylie cringe when Tommy waved at her from across the classroom, clearly he was more than happy to work with her.

"Angela Montez and Olivia Pietersen."

Poor Olivia.

"Lauren Nielsen and Charlotte Williams."

Lauren and I exchanged a disappointed look. I only ever wanted to be paired up with her or maybe one of the other girls but as the teacher called their names my hope was slowly diminishing. I slumped down my chair, already coming to terms that whoever my partner was going to be, it was going to suck.

"Jade Jacobs - "

I perked up at the mention of my name.

" ... and Preston O'Connor."

My eyes grew like saucers and I could feel the sting on my back from the daggers Angela was shooting at me. Oh god, no. Why?

I put my hand up. "Mr. Parker, can I please change - "

"No," he cut me off before going through the rest of the list.

I buried my face in my hands, trying to ignore Preston's suggestive looks I got from one side and Angela's murderous glare from the other. I hate my life.

I was looking forward for this day to end so I could finally go home, I swear that stupid clock couldn't go any slower. Finally, the bell rang and I didn't waste a second as I slung my backpack over my shoulder, quickly leaving the classroom. I was ready to get the hell out of dodge, I wasn't in the mood to talk to Angela or Preston. Making my way to my locker, I suddenly felt my body getting slammed into the wall.