XXI

I pursed my lips, whistling to get the dog's attention. "C'mon Elvis, let's go."

He trudged behind me, sniffing at every picket fence we passed. It was nearly seven in the morning and I realized that it wasn't that cold anymore. I could finally ditch my winter coat and stupid scarf. I couldn't wait for spring.

I played with the strings of Noah's hoodie while I thought about what to make for breakfast. Ashton and I were still on bad terms. I could make his favorite, waffles with strawberries - even though I hated to share my strawberries with anyone. I just wanted him to stop giving me the cold shoulder, I missed my brother; my rude, rowdy, never brings his dirty dishes to the sink brother.

Elvis was barking at some neighbor's dog and I gently tugged at his leash to get him going.

I found Marion sitting on her porch, waiting for us. "Elvis, c'mere boy!"

The dog picked his head up, his ears strained as he heard the familiar voice. I released him from his leash and watched as he excitedly ran up to her. It was so adorable how he climbed the few steps before jumping onto the lady's lap. He licked her face, yipping happily.

"Hello, my beautiful boy, I missed you," she cooed, kissing him back. "I missed you so much."

"I think he missed you too," I giggled when Elvis kept licking her cheek, his tail wiggling.

The crow's feet around Marion's eyes bunched up as her face softened from smiling. "Thank you for taking him out for a walk."

"You're welcome." I leaned against her fence, picking at the chipped paint. "How's your hip?"

"I've been better."

"If you ever want to take a walk somewhere, you know where to find me. We don't have to go too far, we can even take Elvis to that park with the lake," I suggested.

"How about this Friday? After you're back from school. Unless you have better ways of spending your Friday afternoon than with this old lady," she teased.

"Nope, Friday's perfect," I grinned.

"Good morning Marion, how're you doing? You're still recovering from the surgery?" Jordan asked as he jogged towards us. He had just gotten back from his morning run, his skin glistening with sweat. He rested his arm around my shoulder and I instantly pulled away in disgust. I didn't want his smelly sweat covered body anywhere near me.

Marion ran her hands through Elvis' fur with a forlorn expression. "Thanks for asking. I'm not gonna lie, it's difficult but getting back into my old routine is helpful."

I half-smiled in sympathy. That was Marion, she never sugarcoated anything.

"I haven't met anybody as strong as you are, Marion. I'm sure you'll put through. You let us know if you need help with anything," Jordan reassured her. He dropped his hand on the back of my neck, massaging gently. "C'mon Jade, you gotta get ready for school."