Ch.8 | Detectives

I M M A C U L A T E

D E C E I V E R S

 ____________________

I tapped my foot against the library floor as I waited for Callie to show up. She texted me shortly after I texted her to confirm meeting up.

I sighed as the clock kept ticking and I was just about to pull my phone out to call her when the library door swung open.

Callie strolled through and I waved her over to the corner I was standing in.

We each flopped down onto a beanbag and got comfortable. Luckily the library was open an hour after school let out, so we didn't have to rush.

"So what's up?" Callie asked as she pulled her zip lock bag of pretzels out of her backpack and began munching away.

"I um... need to ask you a favor. I completely understand if you say no." I shyly asked.

She offered me some pretzels and I happily took some.

"Does this have to do with you and Mark?" She asked with rose eyebrows.

"Well, technically yes. But Mark and I are done for good! This has to do with that girl Marissa." I stated.

Callie thought a moment to try to place Marissa in her mind, and then she nodded.

"What about her?"

"Well, today... during history class. Mark was flirting with her and I may or may not have gotten just a tiny bit jealous." I began.

"Naveah..." Callie sighed.

"No, just listen!" I begged. "So I left class to go sit in the janitor's closet to get some air. Mark followed me and we got into a fight. Long story short, he doesn't even want to be friends with me anymore... so I have no idea what this will mean for the group as a whole."

"So where does Marissa come into play?" Callie asked.

"Well, Marissa went to the bathroom shortly after I did, and when Mark left the closet... She saw. Then she saw me leave too and when I went into the bathroom, we got into this little argument and she told me that she would use her new information to her advantage. I told her to mind her business, but I am scared that she won't." I frowned.

"Damn Naveah, you really buried yourself deep." Callie frowned.

"I know! Ugh!" I muttered.

"So why do you need me?" She asked again.

"Well, I was hoping you could help me keep a tight leash on Marissa. Maybe help me find a way to blackmail her into keeping quiet about what she saw... I know it is a lot to ask and I totally understand if you say no, I just don't want this to get out to everyone especially since Mark and I are done for good. I just feel like since we are over, there is no need to ruining everyone else's relationships." I felt guilty for saying this but I just wanted everything to disappear, and for things to somewhat go back to normal, whatever normal may be.

"I... I don't know Naveah. I love you and all, but just sweeping this whole thing under the rug isn't right. Everyone deserves to know the truth, eventually. Maybe it would be a good idea to let Marissa tell Connor... then you can finally get this off your chest and deal with the consequences." Callie apologetically smiled.

"Ugh... I know that. I just can't lose them. Not yet. Connor will never speak to me again. Lucy will disown me. Mark is already saying he can't be my friend anymore... and you. You will eventually take Lucy's side and I will have no one." I sighed in defeat. "I'm just a big ball of selfish."