Chapter 6: Spend Some Time

Riley snapped awake as she realized someone was in her hotel room, shaking her shoulder. Terrified and expecting a serial killer, she found it only to be Mark, retracting his hand like a dog had bitten it. Groaning, she leant back in the pillows and shut her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” It wasn’t even a question. It was more of a ‘get out now’ statement.

“Don’t be like that,” He said, genuinely sounding hurt.

She felt awfully tired and had blocked out last night’s memories. “What time is it?”

“It’s 9. Have big night with the famous rapper?” His tone was suggestive and it was the last thing she wanted right now. Sighing, she opened her eyes and saw Mark snooping around, as if to be checking out her hotel room in comparison to his.

“What do you want?”

“You’re really not a morning person are you?” He said. She rolled her eyes. Shut up. Shut up. Shut. Up. He cleared his throat, getting down to business. “Paul set up a photo-shoot for you.”

Riley sat up, pillows falling off her bed. “Paul?” That could only mean it was with-

“Yeah, with Eminem,” Mark clarified. Greaaaaat. Because last night hadn’t gone well enough…

“It’s in an hour, so you better get your ass in gear if you want to be there in time,” He said, on his way to the door. “Okay?”

“Okay…” He offered her a smile and left, quickly.

Riley collapsed back into the bedding. What was she going to do now? She was hoping to avoid him until the music video, do the scenes then catch the next flight back to Miami. It seemed like the whole world was against her plan.

Shrugging out of bed, she managed to shower and get ready without overthinking the situation. However, as she and Mark jumped into a taxi and drove to a studio, she started to grow more nervous. She’d done her best to act professional. But when he’d kissed her, she’d been so consumed by what she felt, she forgot all about her responsibilities and her duties. She’d promised herself that she wouldn’t let relationships get in the way of her work. What had she done…?

“You okay?” Mark said, as the taxi pulled to a stop in the bustling streets of LA. “You’re a bit distracted.”

“Yeah,” Riley dismissed, stepping out onto the sidewalk. She was barely focused as she followed her manager through a modern building, past security and into an elevator. As she stepped inside and the doors shut she felt like it was the perfect representation for her life right now: stuffy and uncomfortable. Maybe it was because she did spend so much time focused on her job. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d taken a break… gotten away from all the model madness.

As the elevator chimed and the doors opened, it revealed a huge studio, with a large backdrop and cameras and lights everywhere. There was a control booth sitting behind the set and she wasn’t surprised to see easily twenty people bustling around, trying to get everything ready for the shoot. On the bright side, at least her first official time working with Marshall would be on her home turf. A photo-shoot would be a thousand times easier than a music video for her.

Mark walked straight over to a tall, bald man who was standing behind the cameras. Riley followed him like a child to parent, not wanting to walk in and take over like she did in her own photo-shoots. She was a little surprised when the bald man clapped Mark into a hug and they looked happy to see each other.

As Riley reached them, Mark had a huge smile on his face, “Paul, this is Riley Stuart.”

Paul extended his hand, “You’re the gem Mark is always raving about. Nice to meet you.” She shook his hand, blushing and unable to look him in the eye. You’d think as a model, she’d be used to all the compliments but they still got to her. Especially from other important managers.