Chapter 11: Love You More

Riley felt sick as she woke up the next morning. She’s spent the night tossing and turning, hardly getting any sleep. So when she finally gave in and crawled out of bed, she was not only exhausted but a nervous wreck. Today was the day of the music video. She couldn’t count the times she’d run over the scene in her head, making sure she worked out any kinks and used as much emotion as possible. No matter what she did, she still felt corny and prayed that it didn’t come across that way.

Standing in the bathroom, it was times like these she wondered how she was a model. With her hair all messy, face pale and her cheeks looking hollow, she looked more like a user than anything else. Opting for a shower, she did her best to clear her head but only ended up making herself more nervous. What if she couldn’t get it right and the director thought she was a bad actress and forever slashed her name in the show business? She knew there was the possibility she was overreacting but it didn’t help her churning stomach and fluttering heart.

After getting ready, and finally looking presentable, she felt a little better. At least she looked the part, even if she wasn’t feeling it. Taking a deep breath, she knew she just had to be calm and put on a professional face like she always did. She was going to be fine. Unfortunately, a text from Mark, saying he was waiting in the car outside the hotel only made her get nervous again.

She made her way downstairs and found her manager leaning against the car door. He frowned as she approached. “You’re a wreck. Did you sleep?”

She looked horrified. “Do I look that bad?”

Mark shook his head, “No, but I know you too well. I can tell when you’re extremely nervous. You had the exact same expression on your face when you had your first photo shoot.” Like a gentleman, he opened the door for her. She climbed in, breathing deeply to calm her nerves. Mark hopped in the other side and the driver set off on course.

In the car they were mostly silent until they pulled up out the front of a huge movie set warehouse. She’d seen these places before. There were massive warehouse split into different studios with removable sets which made it easy for smaller productions like TV Shows and in this case, music videos. She’d figured they’d be filming in one, as no bank in their right mind would let them do a mock robbery.

Mark turned to her as the driver stopped at the security gate. He looked her deep in the eyes, with such focus and determination, it calmed her. “You’re going to be fantastic, like you always are, Riley. I promise you. I wouldn’t have gotten you this part if I thought you couldn’t handle it. I believe in you. And I’m going to be in there the whole time.”

She drew in a deep breath, feeling better knowing that Mark wasn’t going out on a limb just to get her this part. He genuinely believed she’d be fine. Swallowing her nerves, she relaxed herself and smiled at Mark. “Thanks for everything.”

The driver was given the all clear and they slowly drove into one of the parks adjacent to Studio 15. Riley hopped out of the vehicle and stuck close to Mark’s tail, following him straight into the darkness of the studio. It took her eyes a few seconds to adjust for the harsh morning sun.

When they did, a huge set lay in front of her of what looked like a crispy clean bank. The counters were a solid white with blue strips, walls a soft and incredibly dull grey. There was a carpet entrance that led straight through to the high counter were there where office chairs and phones. It looked exactly like a real bank. That was, apart from the lack of a ceiling or door, the set lights and the bustling workers. Mark seemed to know exactly where he was going and headed straight for a short man dressed in a sweater, talking to Paul Rosenberg. He was holding a huge folder, which she could only guess was the screenplay.