Chapter 22: Legacy

Chapter 22: Legacy

Fourteen Years Ago…

She couldn’t believe she’d stayed in the same city almost whole year. Although she’d moved to another two homes, she’d been lucky enough to stay at Osborn. Her new foster home wasn’t too bad. Her new guardians mostly stayed out of her way, which was a freedom she’d never been given in other places.

She and Marshall had grown much closer over the first few months. They shared a lot of classes and always ate lunch together. Things changed a little once he met Kim. The two were a perfect match. Riley remembered being in the corner of the room while Marshall was standing on that wooden table, rapping to LL Cool J’s I’m Bad, while stripping off his shirt. Kim had walked in and froze solid as she watched him. As they made eye contact, it was as if she was in a trace and it was only them in the room. It was a connection that was so undeniable.

Unfortunately, that connection was short-lived. The three of them got along as friends but after only a few months of dating, Marshall and Kim broke up. It’d been a bad break up and Riley had been caught between the two of them, unsure of whose side to take. The two were constantly trying to get back at each other, making a friendship with both of them difficult.

It was late evening and Riley was getting a little cold as she sat on the old swing in Marusso Park, idly moving back and forth, tattered shoes scrapping the dirt. As the sun set, the temperature was starting to drop and Riley pulled her coat around her tighter. She spotted Kim trudging across the playground, wrapping her scarf around her neck. She sat down on the swing beside her.

“Hey,” She said, sounding miserable.

“What’s wrong?” Riley asked, glancing at Kim. Her nose and cheeks were bright red from the cold.

Kim just shrugged, “I just broke up with Jason.”

Riley frowned. “I thought he was really sweet.”

She was quiet for a second. “I…” She sighed, “I was trying to get back at Marshall.”

Riley had to refrain from rolling her eyes. “You’re both terrible. You should stop trying to hurt each other and work this out. I’m so sick of being between you two.” Kim just kept swinging and shrugged. Riley sighed. “Marshall is a really nice guy. He’s funny and talented and-”

 She had to catch herself before she went too far. She had to remind herself that her personal feelings toward him were irrelevant. Even if he was… She stopped and swallowed.  “You guys were good together.”

Kim nodded but kept her eyes trained on the ground. As Riley looked up she saw Marshall headed their way. She felt her breath leave her and she skirted her eyes away from him, blushing. He’d been so nice to her this year. They stuck up for each other in school… although there wasn’t much she could do for him. She was a tiny girl and trying to intervene, as much as she did, against three much bigger boys was almost hopeless.

Kim noticed him and stood quickly, “I’m going to go. I’ve got to be home for dinner.”

Riley frowned, “Kim, don’t-”

She ignored her and walked away quickly, skirting across the damp grass back to her parked bike. As Marshall approached, he removed his headphones, slinging them around his neck and tucking his Walkman away. He stood across from her, watching Kim trail back to the edge of the park.

“Hey, I wanted talk to you,” Marshall said, shoving his hands in his pockets. Riley raised a brow, not sure as to what it would be about. He finally sat down on the swing beside her.

“What is it?” Riley asked, unable to look him in the eyes for long. He had that half smile on his face. She hadn’t seen it in so long, it practically radiated off of him. She felt her heart go soft as she looked back down in her lap.

“We’ve been really good friends,” He said slowly. He reached out and placed his hand on her knee. She nearly jumped and felt her heart race as she met his eye. The sun was just setting behind him, making the sky turn a beautiful orange and pink. “And I was wondering if you wanted to… take it to the next level.”

Riley swallowed in disbelief. “What do you mean?”

“I mean…” He paused, giving her an intent look. “I want you to be my girlfriend.”

She felt the world start to disappear around her. The sounds of other kids playing in the background faded, and everything went into a blur. He… had actually asked her out. Ever since she first laid eyes on him, she’d wanted to hear those words leave his lips. But now they actually had… she couldn’t believe it.

Without so much as thinking of the consequences, she spoke. “I’d like that.”

Marshall’s half smile, broke out fully as they both stood. He wrapped her in a hug and she soaked up his warmth, lying her head on his chest. They stood like that for a moment, entwined in each other’s embrace. It felt so right… the way she fit against him.

As she opened her eyes she saw Kim standing in the distance, staring directly at them. Her heart dropped as Kim grabbed her bike and left abruptly. That’s when Riley knew that although she’d now achieved something she’d wanted for so long… it had cost her a friend.