Chapter 47: Remember Me?

Riley kept searching for the brake or a red light for life, but could never seem to find one. Looking back it was crazy to think how much her life had changed in the last seven months. Before, she was struggling for work and was generally unhappy. But since Marshall bombarded her life, she’d been given amazing career opportunities and finally remembered what it was like to have some fun.

That’s what her New Year’s Resolution had been: to enjoy life. She’d spent so many years with her head down, trying so hard to make it in a brutal industry and muster up some self-confidence, that she’d forgotten what living was really like. Marshall brought out so much light in her. She felt like she could let herself go around him- like she was no longer restricted.

It’d taken her most of December and January to get used to the freezing Detroit weather, compared to the Miami heat. She’d been praying that the weather would be warmer for the European Tour in February, but when that time arrived, she was horrified to discover that their first stop in Hamburg, Germany, was just as cold as Detroit, if not worse. 

Riley was disappointed as she stepped out of the airport and saw snow, blanketing every corner of the city. She followed Marshall straight into a black car and shut the door, quickly. He immediately noticed the disappointed look on her face.

“What’s up?” He asked. “I thought you’d be happy about being on tour?”

Riley drew in a deep breath, “I was hoping it was going to be warmer in Europe. But it’s snowing.”

Marshall cracked a laugh, “You never shut up about the cold. You and your Miami Heat ass...”

Riley caught onto his sporting reference, “You’re just upset because we wiped the floor with your Piston ass last year.”

She noticed the car hadn’t pulled away and was wondering why until Proof opened the car door and shimmied in beside her. Marshall seemed horrified that she’d talked so blatantly about the Detroit Pistons losing streak.

“We’ve only been playing bad because of Grant Hill and you know it!” He defended.

“Excuses!” Riley pointed out. “Your offence has been terrible.”

“You wait, we’re going to kick your ass in the next few-”

“Are you guys arguing about fucking sports again?” Proof groaned. “If I have to listen to this all the way to the hotel, I’m switching cars.” Riley smirked, realizing that they never really argued about anything, unless it came to sports. She guess she was still a Miami girl at heart, even if Detroit felt more like home. Proof settled into his seat with a sly smile on his face. “Besides, the Lakers kicked both of your asses.”

They both let out a roar or disgust. Marshall pointed across her, “Get your west coast ass out of my car. Right now.”

Proof was laughing, “I’m just messing- I’m just messing!”

Riley shook her head, “You change teams all the time. There’s no loyalty. You just go for whoever is winning.”

“It’s better than Biz,” Proof insisted, “He goes for the Knicks.”

Riley rolled her eyes, “Don’t even talk to me about them.”

Proof muttered, “It’s your fault for stealing Pat Riley.”

She ignored his comment as she stared out the front windscreen at the city. Everything was so different here. It was filled with beautiful old churches and buildings, just like she’d seen in photos. She’d never been overseas before and was excited about the travel.