Chapter 51: Revelation

Three Days Later...

It took Mark half an hour to find the place. And it had everything to do with the fact that Riley was holding the map. From the outside, it looked like a dump: the brickwork was chipped and dirty, there were few windows and the stairwell was old and creaky. But it was right in the heart of Miami City. He was beginning to worry who he'd made a business deal with.

As he glanced over to the front seat, Riley looked apprehensive. He threw her a confident look. "This is it, you'll do great."

Riley opened the door of his big escalade and frowned up at the rotting apartment building. "Are you sure about this? It doesn't look like a studio."

"It's nicer on the inside," He insisted, placing his hand on her shoulder and leading her towards the huge double doors. He had his fingers crossed that it really was nicer on the insider... Reaching out, he rang on the doorbell. After a full minute, the door swung open.

Standing underneath the doorway was a middle aged man, who was desperately trying to hold onto his blonde hair, with streaks of 'old man' silver through it. He had wrinkles under his eyes as he smiled from underneath his square shaped spectacles.

He extended his hand, "Eric Jones. You must be... Mark?" He nodded as he shook the man's hand. He offered it to Riley. "And you're Riley Stuart. Pleasure to meet you."

She shook his hand, "The pleasure is all mine."

Eric held open the door and motioned them inside. They stepped into what looked like a stripped down warehouse. It was just concrete floors, metal beams and dust. They followed him across the huge open expanse towards a set of spiraling wooden stairs.

"You'll have to excuse the place," Eric insisted, shoving his hands into his jean pockets as he walked. "I haven't got around to renovating down here. I've only done the top two floors."

Relief washed over him as he climbed the stairs and he was welcomed to a warm modern-industrial designed home. Everything was made from raw materials like metal and wood but it was filled with soft colors and plush furnishing, making it feel homey. There was a huge fireplace heating the open living space, with the floor to ceiling windows fogging up. He even had modern light bulbs hanging low from the high ceiling. Eric continued past the second floor and up to the third, which was an equally huge studio, set up with full professional photography equipment and a plain white backdrop.

On every spare space on the wall there were photos. One wall was covered in colorful landscape shots, from all different locations and seasons. One wall was plastered in black and white photos of city streets. The third wall was taken up by the backdrop and the forth was half filled with very raw photos of many different types of people.

Eric motioned to the forth wall. "This is what I've been working on. I've been trying to capture that raw beauty that people have. When I saw you in Marie Claire, I knew you were perfect for my next model."

Riley seemed in awe at the collection, "They're beautiful."

"Thank you," Eric gave her another warm smile. "The bathroom is just over there," He motioned to the door a few feet away. The outfit I have for you in on the rack and if you could please remove any make-up you're wearing, that would be great."

Riley nodded and slipped away. Eric cleared his throat, "Did you want a coffee?"

Mark lifted a brow, "No thanks." Eric nodded and set off and started fiddling with the settings on his handheld camera. Mark glanced around at the room, taking in all the photos. "How long have you been a photographer for?"