Chapter 42: Drug Ballad

The Omni Hotel in downtown Jacksonville was probably the nicest hotel they’d stayed in the whole tour. Riley was in awe of the lavish rooms and the views and was glad to be back in Miami, for a while. But the best part was the rooftop heated swimming pool and bar that overlooked both the St. Johns River and downtown.

After the last show, knowing their flight wasn’t until the next afternoon, celebrations were due. And what was better than lounging around the rooftop pool with enough drinks to make the planet alcoholics? It had just passed midnight and the pool and deck was lit up with neon lights. All of the artists were on the rooftop, laughing and talking. Some were in the pool, soaking up the warmth, others were at the bar and some, like Riley and Marshall were sitting around the edge of the rooftop on deckchairs, overlooking the view through the glass fence.

Riley sighed, finally having a chance to relax as she stretched out in the armchair, nudging Marshall’s foot with her own. He reached over to the glass table and picked up a lighter, and set fire to his next blunt. He took in a drag and breathed out the smoke, staring out at the city.

“This is just great,” He insisted, pulling her a little closer. “I got my weed and my brothers and my bitch.” She could only giggle, knowing he always joked around about calling her a bitch. She was smart enough not to take offence to it. He offered her the blunt. “Want a drag?”

Suddenly, Mark was behind the chair and reached over, stealing the blunt from Marshall’s hand. Riley almost laughed as he stepped around it to their view. She hardly saw him out of the suit he usually wore. But tonight he was in nothing but a pair of wet swimming trunks. He was soaked, dripping water onto the dry pavement.

“I hope you weren’t smoking this, Riley,” He said, sternly. “It’ll ruin your looks.”

“It will not,” Riley scoffed. She knew very well that the side effects of weed were pretty minimal. Mark ignored her and smoke it himself. “Oh, so you’re allowed?”

Mark smirked but Marshall didn’t seem too happy about sharing his week with him. “Give it back, you hog!”

 Mark handed it back and looked up across the rooftop. “Holy shit.”

“What?” Riley shifted and craned her neck over the top of the deck chair. Staring across the rooftop, she couldn’t see anything unusual. She looked back at Mark and he seemed to be in a daze, staring over at the bar. She’d never seen such an expression on his face. He looked shocked, but at peace and almost… happy. “Mark! What is it?”

After a few more seconds of staring he glanced at her quickly before returning his eyes to his target. “I’ve never seen anyone so beautiful.”

Riley frowned and checked again. She spotted a woman sitting at the bar. She was a brunette with gorgeous long hair, wearing an orange sundress with a split all the way up the side. She had legs to die for and a smile to match. And Mark was looking right at her. “Not even me?” She teased.

Mark seemed too distracted to even bother acknowledging her comment. “I’m going to go talk to her.” Riley rolled her eyes as he stalked off past her, completely in a trance.

Marshall seemed to think this was funny. “It’s about time Mark got himself a girl instead of snooping around you.”

Riley stood up, “I’m going to get a drink. Want one?”

“Of course,” Marshall nodded, “But I know you’re really eavesdropping.”

Riley couldn’t believe he saw straight through her, “What? How did you know?”